VOGONS

First post, by just some chick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, maybe you guys could help me out. 😄

I think I'm doing everything right. I start up dosbox, mount my cdrom using the XP one (with the -ioctl ... am I maybe using the wrong one? I'm using XP so...), switch from Z: to E: (my cdrom drive) and then attempt to install the game by typing in INSTALL. The size of the screen changes and after several seconds the background for the installation comes up ... but after a moment it goes back to black and gives me an error message.

Installation could not continue! Either an error occured, or you cancelled installation. If you need help, please refer to your […]
Show full quote

Installation could not continue!
Either an error occured, or you cancelled installation.
If you need help, please refer to your manuals, then
if you still need help, call Sanctuary Woods...

Followed by E:\>. I am suspecting that this is a problem with the CD -- maybe it's scratched, which is really gonna make me cry since I loved this game. I wanted to ask here though to make sure, maybe I am doing something incorrectly. Thank you!

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Nah - it is all fine and dandy that you mount the CD-ROM as E:, but where do you plan to actually install the game?

Hint, hint: You need a C: drive....

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 3, by just some chick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oi, something else is wrong now... >_<

I get to a certain part in the game and it gives me another error message. this one really does seem like a CD problem. (I remeber there being a problem with the disc at some point in the game, just not where, which is why I keep suspecting it as such.)

FATAL ERROR ENCOUNTERED: Sequence instruction - sprite series error. […]
Show full quote

FATAL ERROR ENCOUNTERED:
Sequence instruction - sprite series error.

Error code: 0x025b
Code found in: MASTER.M4E
Offending EXE: RIDDLE.EXE
Source code index: ..\wscript\WS_HAL.CCP:155
Path to EXE: C:\RIDDLE\

Description:
setcel() failed.

C:\RIDDLE>

Please tell me I'm doing something dumb again... 🤣