VOGONS

First post, by ElfPhoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got Ultima 7 and Forge of Virtue to install. I turned EMS off in DOSbox's config file. However, I get an error after I start a game, dropping me to the DOSbox desktop. Any ideas?

Elf

Reply 2 of 4, by ElfPhoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

right and we can all guess the error message ?

Well, of course not! Geez! My work around was to use Exult instead. That solved the issue. I frankly did not think the abtruse DOS error message would be helpful, that was why I did not copy it down.

Elf

Reply 3 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
ElfPhoenix wrote:

I frankly did not think the abtruse DOS error message would be helpful, that was why I did not copy it down.

It is very important when you ask for help here ... Even better are some strange log messages reported by DOSBOX (if there are any).

Ultima 7 works in DOSBOX.
Things to try
1. As with any DOS game - check sound configuration
2. One thing to try when Ultima 7 or 8 is crashing: delete content of GAMEDAT directory.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 4, by ElfPhoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:
It is very important when you ask for help here ... Even better are some strange log messages reported by DOSBOX (if there are a […]
Show full quote

It is very important when you ask for help here ... Even better are some strange log messages reported by DOSBOX (if there are any).

Ultima 7 works in DOSBOX.
Things to try
1. As with any DOS game - check sound configuration
2. One thing to try when Ultima 7 or 8 is crashing: delete content of GAMEDAT directory.

Mirek

I had done both of those things before I decided to install Exult. DOSbox does well with X-Com: UFO Defense and Betrayal at Krondor. I have done numerous things suggested in various places in these forums to run those games in true full screen mode. It never has, it is always widescreen style. That is one thing in particular that I like about Exult, full screen works well (res. is about 500 something x 300 something). I could use 640x480 or even 800x600, but then it looks too small. Unlike most Win games that look great at my typical 1024x768. Without DOSbox, neither of those games would work. I'm rather appreciative overall. Now I can replay some of my old favorites. 😁

BTW, both of those games run well in DOSbox (with minor config changes). They don't run too slowly or too quickly. The mouse is responsive (with BaK required sensitivity set to 250 and with X-Com cycles at 4000 not 3000) and both music and sound are good without crackle. And only about 10-15% of the CPU is used while running either of those in DOSbox. I can alt tab a lot without crashing. I think DOSbox is very well constructed.

Oh, and Ultima 8 bites. 😒

Elf