VOGONS

First post, by Dingo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I have the original box for this baby, and I just found out about DOSBOX and am gaga to play it. I have it installed under DOSBOX and so on, however whenever I trial and load the game, it gives me the error that it cannot find the video driver. Now in the readme it says DOSBOX uses VGA by default, however just in case I tried manually setting VGA and still the same error. Since DOSBOX is cabable of CGA/EGA emulation, I also tried these (the game supports those graphics cards as well). Unfortunalty, no video driver detection. Can anybody help. I don't know if it's just late and I am on crack or what.

My system is as follows

AMD AthlonXP 2100+
1GB PC-2100 DDR-SDRAM
MSI K7T266 PRO2-RU Mainboard
ATi Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB AGP
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer 5.1
WindowsXP Pro SP 2
DOSBOX 0.62
Quest For Glory II - Trial By Fire 1.0 (I am guessing, I have to use the 720K diskettes for install instead of the 1.2MB since I no longer use 5 1/4" floppy drives 😉 )

Reply 2 of 7, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I am correct, the game was made for Windows 3.1. Have you tried running it in Windows (perhaps Win 95 emulation?). I don't know about the video driver thing, I have the same problem on some other games and have never found a solution. Mine works fine in Win 98 though.

Reply 6 of 7, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it gives me the error that it cannot find the video driver

This is a wild guess, but could you post a listing of all the files in your QFG2 directory? I have a copy that works in DOSBox, so I'll compare your version with mine. My theory (very tenuous) is that it can't load the video driver because you're missing a file.

Reply 7 of 7, by Dingo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem fixed. Sort of. I downloaded a version from an abdoneware website, and it works just fine. The one that didn't work, now works. But is only in black and white. I changed nothing, and frankly don't care. I just am now enjoying playing the game.