VOGONS

First post, by voktopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody
I hope somebody of you experienced users can help me with my problem:
The german game "Der Aufstand der Dinge" which was one of my first games, and with which I really fell in love with, won't start in DosBox but give me the following error message:
" DADD_XMS_Init: BP-Error! [8-$0a71-$0266] " (please see picture in the attachment)

I have tried different settings and also on different machines, the error message stays the same, so it seems to me, that the error doesn't have anything to do with the hardware but must have to do with some settings in the DosBox...

I have set "XMS=true" and "EMS=true" but don't have much experience with DosBox yet, so maybe somebody of you has a grant idea how to get this game working ?

Would really be appreciated !!!

Thanks a lot in advance

Martin

Attachments

• XMS_Errormessage.jpg
    Filename
    XMS_Errormessage.jpg
    File size
    33.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Game XMS Error message
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 8, by voktopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Qbix

thank you for your reply ! Yes, I have tried "xms=false" and also "ems=false"

With the first option the game simply gets stuck at the start up while trying to initiate the xms memory, with the second option the game complains that it can't find the ems memory (message: "please load emm386.exe in your config.sys file"...)

Maybe you have another suggestion ? Would really be appreciated ! It would simply love to get this game running ("old time memories"...)

Thanks a lot in advance for your help !

Martin

Reply 4 of 8, by voktopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello wd

thanks a lot for your suggestions- very sadly none of them helped...

Without EMS the game complains about no EMS, so it seems as if it really is the XMS memory that causes the trouble.

I have also tried it without sound as you suggest and to make really sure, I made all sound configurations inactive by putting a "# " in front of the commands except the PC speaker of course- didn't do any good... 😳

I would REALLY appreciate any more suggestions that might put some hope into running my favorite game !

THANKS A LOT and kind regards from snowy cold Switzerland to all of you 😀

Martin

Reply 5 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I wonder - is the game available somewhere? I doubt many other people know about it ... I have certainly never heard about it.
If it is a freeware game, then you can put link here.
If not then you could mention web where it is possible to get it (but do not put a direct link to the game here and do not upload it here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Let's say that saying "you can get it on Home of Underdogs" is acceptable (this is just an example, I do not know whether it is there or not).
Just a warning: If it is an abandoware, then it is NOT freeware as many people think ...

Mirek

Reply 6 of 8, by voktopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day Mirek

thanks a lot for your advice ! Yes, you are right, I have looked around the web and the only thing I could find was a leveleditor for the game (in the web also called "DADD" for "Der Aufstand der Dinge")- that's all...nothing on AMAZON or even EBAY...also no store who would sell the game anymore..

Really sad, because I loved this jump and run game because of the REAL cool atmosphere, backgrounds and music...

So much about your suggestion about putting a link to some website...

Question: Could I send the game to some of you cracks of the DOSBOX crew per email ? The game files are not too large (around 4.5 MBytes)

Thanks a lot for all your help !

Best regards

Martin- still hoping of getting this thing running ! 😀

P.S. I didn't say, that I was able to get the game running on my old laptop (pentium 133 MHz, 32 MByte RAM)- but only on a very small screen, because the laptop only uses a very small part of the display which is already small (11.5")... => maybe some of you have any idea how to use the whole display under DOS ? It is a TOSHIBA SATELITE PRO 430 CDT ?? That would be a good substitute anyway...I also include a picture that I made with my digital camera from the screen to give some impression

Attachments

• picture_1_.jpg
    Filename
    picture_1_.jpg
    File size
    56.54 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 8, by voktopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DONE !!! The game is running !

Maybe someone can profit from my "learning curve" 😉 so here the solution to my problem:

Set the memory option for the shortcut on your XP desktop (right mouse click => properties) as shown on the screenshot shown (same procedure in Win 98 SE).

AFTER you have set the memory option described above run it with VDMSOUND (not tried in Win 98 SE since VDMSOUND is not made for Win 98, shouldn't be necessary though)- DONE - off you go with playing your old game !

Thanks a lot to Christian Zietz who helped me with his support- he programmed a level editor for "Der Aufstand der Dinge" in earlier days

Have fun !

Martin 😁

Attachments

• XP_Einstellungen.jpg
    Filename
    XP_Einstellungen.jpg
    File size
    39.89 KiB
    Views
    File license