VOGONS

First post, by 1018509

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have tried to install Lemmings 2 The Tribes with DosBox on Windows XP Professional. DosBoz won'l let me open the L2 directory to run the game after installing it on my hard drive. Any ideas why? Thanks. 😕

Reply 1 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
1018509 wrote:

DosBoz won'l let me open the L2 directory to run the game after installing it on my hard drive.

What do you mean by the above mentioned? Could you describe it in more details?

Mirek

Reply 2 of 12, by Newbie2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to load Lemmings 2 also.
I am running XP.
I have the 2 original 3.25" floppies for the game, but I'm not skilled enough to figure out how to make them load. I have an external USB floppy disk drive, that I have tried mounting in Dos Box. In My Computer the drive is identified as 'B' so I tried mounting it by typing in

mount B e:\dosprog

B is mounted as local directory e:\dosprog

Next I try to change the Z to an e,
Z>e:
E does not exist, or if I use cd e Unable to change to e

I tried copying the original disks to my hard drive, and using them that way but it didn't work either.

I downloaded a copy of lemmings 2 from the internet. and I try loading it. it starts to load the game, gets as far as the memory information and then hangs forever. I've tried downloading lemmings 2 from 3 different places and get the same result each time.

Expanded Memory Manager v4.0 found
627808 bytes free in Main Memory
15663104 bytes free in Expanded Memory at E000 Page Frame
16290912 bytes free

I was able to get a demo version of Lemmings 2 to run, but that's no fun. I want the full version.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I think you need to use the "-t floppy" option with the mount command. More info here:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … 0Programs/Mount

Last edited by MiniMax on 2004-11-22, 13:49. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 12, by Newbie2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the direction. I can now 'see' my floppy disks.

When I start dosbox

Mount A: E:\dosprog\floppy -t floppy

(I am able to see the floppy disks I copied on my hard drive, I checked properties and unchecked the read only box for the floppy disks)

Mount E: E:\dosprog\

(dir allows me to see the folders in dosprog)

Next, I change to A, Disk1, and install. The install screen comes up and I make the regular choices for setting up the game. Until it comes to select directory. I choose E:\ or E:\dosprog\ All that happens is the fan on my hard drive starts working overtime. If I choose E:\dosprog\L2 a window pops up that says 'unable to open output path'

I've tried changing the XMS and EMS to different T/F combinations. I changed the mem from 16 to 63.

I've done a search for "installing from floppy disks' and haven't found anything close to this. Would you give me some direction on what to try next.

Thanks

Reply 7 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Newbie2, try creating the E:\dosprog\L2 directory before your install.

Reply 9 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Another suggestion then: Don't copy the floppies to the hard disk before the install. Instead try this:

Z:> mount A "B:\" -floppy
Z:> mount C "E:\dosprog"
Z:> A:
Z:> install

When the installer ask you where to install, choose "C:\L2" as the directory.

Reply 10 of 12, by Newbie2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That worked as far as reading the floppy disks from the actual disks. It didn't make any difference otherwise. I still get to install to directory and it hangs, the fan on the hard drive speeds up. If I leave it long enough the whole computer shuts down.

I found another old program, Reader Rabbit 2, and it installed from the floppy with no problem and was playable.

I am now trying to redownload lemmings 2 from the net, agai, to see if perhaps my program is damaged.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Thanks

Reply 11 of 12, by lonnelid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem with Lemmings 2. And the reason it happend for me was that I hadn't the proper directory mounted.

In my case I have the game in "D:\oldgames\lemm2" when I mounted "D:\oldgames" as C:\ the game worked for me. Using the D-Fend frontend so not sure about the exact syntax for it. Also remember you need to run the fixed exe (Called L2-fix.com in my download) to avoid running the demo version.

Go go kill the lemmings! Me and my friends made killing lemmings on the practice courses into an artform back in the days 😀

Reply 12 of 12, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

one Word: HOTU (if you know what i mean) i dont know if this game is abandonware now so i cannot write the url.
There you can get a version, unpack and and mount this directory in dosbox, thats the way it works on my pc.