VOGONS

First post, by slong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🙁 My old DOS AP say I should add the following line to the config file:
DEVICE=emm386.exe noems x=a000-c9ff i=e000-efff

On MS-DOS V6.22, it's OK!
How to setup this environment on DOSBox ?

Regards,
Slong.

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No sure. Try opening the file dosbox.conf with Notepad. Locate the entries 'ems=true' and 'xms=true' and try setting one of them to 'false'. If that does not work, try setting both of them to 'false'.

See also: dosbox.conf/dos, and DOSBoxWiki

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What is the name of the application?

How does it "not work"?

Reply 4 of 11, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
slong wrote:

🙁 My old DOS AP say I should add the following line to the config file:
DEVICE=emm386.exe noems x=a000-c9ff i=e000-efff

The line loads emm386 for UMA access (upper memory area) only (disabling EMS), excluding the memory range a000-c9ff, explicitely including e000-efff. I have no idea why your program would want to have such a line - the exclude and include parameters are usually only relevent based on system and configuration type, and not program specific. It might be a good idea to tell what program you are trying to use, and what exactly doesn't work.

For some further emm386 info/troubleshooting (on a DOS computer, not in DOSbox), see
http://home.earthlink.net/~rlively/MANUALS/CO … /E/EMM386EX.HTM
and
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=78557.

JAL

Reply 5 of 11, by slong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The AP is named ET-Chinese system V3 of ETEN Corp.Taiwan.
It is used to display double byte character set(DBCS) in Chinese, by access the ROM addrress directly, by TSR, I think!
But the company is not maintain this AP now!

When I run this AP on DOSBox, the Screen(or Window) become unreadable, and many unnormal color block display, prompt string become unreadable too.
Respone character was very strange, not corrected, keyboard keyin.

I had been run this AP successful by VMware 3 DOS client on Windows 2000/XP host, on friend's computer.

Attachments

• ET3screen.jpg
    Filename
    ET3screen.jpg
    File size
    29.93 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screen snapshot
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, it would be probably necessary to debug the program to know what is wrong. I doubt that developers have ever heard about it and also that they would be very interested in fixing it (it is a rather obscure thing, probably not used by many people).

Saying that, I am certain that if somebody looks into it and finds a problem, they will gladly accept a solution into DOSBOX. DOSBOX has its intternal debugger which could be usefull (PRIESTLYBOY makes debugger enabled builds on his forum or you can compile yourselves).

Mirek

Reply 9 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm some link to freeware program ? or a complete name of an application. as if it worked in 0.58 then we might be able to find out why it fails in 0.63

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe here?

http://input.cpatch.org/chinese_system/eten/d … printer_driver/