Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do it because I believe in it and for people like him:

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've actually been looking for a cycle-guide like this for a while now. 🤣 Thanks!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And I am happy to consider examples of games that don't behave according to my list...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 26, by FooAtari

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

And interestingly enough the range of cycles happens to be a perfect match with real Vintage machines. E.g. a cycle of 3000 is too slow for Wing Commander, just like a 386SX is too slow and 6000 is too fast, just like a 386DX33.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but was intrigued by this. I certainly find the same as you in that 3000 is to slow and 6000 to fast. 4500 seems to be about right for WC.

However with regards to hardware, AFAIK there was no processor in between the SX and DX33. So are you saying that there was no CPU that ran WC at the correct speed?

Edit
Actually I guess the 386 SX 25 or 33Mhz might have run the game at the correct speeds?

Reply 25 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There where a lot of CPUs other that DX33.

DX25, DX33 and DX40 where quite common, but there where also SX-16 and SX-20, SX-25 and even SX-33.

The choice if ISA videocard also makes a different. OAK and Trident are quite slow. Cirrus Logic is good and ET4000 are the fastest. And then you could tweak the settings in the BIOS (memory timings, wait states and so on).

But yea a lot of people experienced this game either too slow, or too fast 🤣

If it's too fast, it's really difficult at times, especially if there is only a single enemy, then the game gets soo fast that it's hard to kill him.

WC2 was more flexible. It allowed to insert a delay between frames through certain key combinations.

Reply 26 of 26, by FooAtari

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
There where a lot of CPUs other that DX33. […]
Show full quote

There where a lot of CPUs other that DX33.

DX25, DX33 and DX40 where quite common, but there where also SX-16 and SX-20, SX-25 and even SX-33.

The choice if ISA videocard also makes a different. OAK and Trident are quite slow. Cirrus Logic is good and ET4000 are the fastest. And then you could tweak the settings in the BIOS (memory timings, wait states and so on).

But yea a lot of people experienced this game either too slow, or too fast 🤣

I knew WC was quite CPU dependent to get it to run correctly, but didn't realise it was quite that bad. 😀