VOGONS

First post, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to kick this super old thread: TextAssist doesn't work
since I'm also trying to get VoiceAssist and Text Assist running on my DosBox.

I found this site that has a HDD folder available with a Win 3.11 installation and TextAssist + Voice Assist installed and both are working fine. So it has to be possible to get it running on DosBox:
http://batsupport.com/unsupported/dosbox/ (choose talking dosbox with windows 3.1 and text assist.exe).

I copied the "cdrive" folder and used is as C-drive in my current DosBox version, and all works fine there. I assume it has to do with the exact version of the SB16 drivers. I have an original CD with slightly older versions of drivers and applications, and TextAssist refuse to work on Win 3.11. So my best guess is that with a newer installation CD this should be possible.

Problem is finding a CD image where also Voice Assist and Text assist are included. Many CD's only have the SB16 drivers with the "classic" windows apps (wave player, midi player, mixer,...) but no Voice Assist or Text Assist...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-31, 09:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These are the versions of the drivers and applications on the HDD image where all seems to be working:

Cdrive-Versions.gif

Somebody has this specific version of the drivers and apps to check out of this actually is working on a fresh Win 3.11 install on dosbox?

Reply 2 of 2, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Investigated a bit further: The drivers in de directory "Win31" from SB16AWE_Compilation_by_TheMAN_rev4.1 ISO seem to be the exact versions I posted above AND seem to work! Run the install (from dos) in Win31\Disk1.

BUT!!!! When all is installed, TextAssist will still not work. This baffled me a bit, so I started comparing all files from my installation with the HDD i referred to above and finally found the tiny difference that makes the difference between working and not working.

What you have to do is: look in the WINDOWS folder for "TACONTRL.INI" edit this file and change this part (at the end):

[CSPSET]
CSP=1

to

[CSPSET]
CSP=0

Reboot dosbox / windows and tataa! TextAssist should work just fine!

I still have no clue why it is not working with the slightly older drivers on my original CD 🙁