VOGONS

First post, by Travis Reed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all. I'm new here and I came here primarily to get help with MS Space Sim. I have the version downloaded from Underdogs at present (merely to test it out to see whether I should go buy a real copy off ebay or somewhere) and have been unable to get it to run under XP SP2. So I'm trying it under DOSBox and am getting a little farther than I had been with the DOS prompt in XP. I get this nice little "Error loading 2D driver" message. Don't get me wrong, I've read in a few different places that I have to replace a line in the msspace.ini file to read svga8.drv instead of svga.drv (used to read svgs.drv...damn typos....) to get it to work...small problem, and probably something to do with it coming from Underdogs...there is no msspace.ini file. The only ini file I find is spacesim.ini and there is no line that reads svga.drv in that.

Here's some technical details (some may be edited later to be more precise):

Motherboard: Shuttle AN-35. BIOS revision AN35S00J. nForce 2 400 + MCP.

Processor: AMD Duron 1600 MHz.

RAM: 1x Kingston PC2100 DDR SDRAM.

OS: WinXP Home, 2002 Edition recently upgraded with SP2.

Hard Drives:
---Primary: 1x Maxtor 60 GB HD (forget exact specs).
------Partitions:
1) 1.0 GB ext3.
2) 24 MB FAT16, formerly of a larger Linux SWAP partition. MSSpace Sim is currently located here, so I can use an old win95/98 boot disk to reach it (not that that has helped much...🙁 ). Also have a copy on partition 4 of this drive.
3) 1.51 GB Unpartitioned, formerly a part of a larger Linux SWAP partition.
4) 54.73 GB NTFS, currently has my OS and most of my core programs installed, has about 7.43 GB free.

---Secondary: 1x Seagate Barracudda 40 GB HD (or something along that, also forget exact specs).
------Partitions:
1) 27.27 GB NTFS, this is where I have some other programs installed as well as some other stuff.
2) 6.0 GB ext3. Forget whether this was/usr or /home...
3) 3.0 GB ext3. This would have been what 2 above was not...
4) 1.0 GB Linux SWAP as an extended partition for some reason...*blames Mandrake 10 installer*

Optical Drives:
---Primary: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B (according to Windows anyway, otherwise I have no model number). Speeds are: 52x32x52.
---Secondary: IDE DVD-ROM 16X (also according to Windows, as I have no model number).

Gfx: nVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 SE w/128MB DDR (not sure what type of DDR...🙁 )

Sound: Did I not mention the Mobo's chipset was that of the nFORCE 2? I am, however, using the Realtek AC '97 audio driver...so I can properly use my 5.1 surround sound speakers...speaking of which...*starts up a round of Master of Puppets*

Joystick: Don't see how this'd be important, but...MS Sidewinder Precision 2. Though I wasn't planning on using it for the game.

Keyboard: Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard, USB. With failing TAB key and spacebar.

Mouse: a Kensington optical mouse, USB.

And done with system specs...I think...Probably more than anyone might need (once I get the mobo filled in correctly...*likes edit post feature*).
All partitions are primary unless otherwise stated. I have two (possibly three) installs of MS Space Simony the machine currently, and none of them work in windows, with win95/98 boot disks, or DOSBox (thoughI get farther with DOSBox).

I once had Mandrake 10 installed (as part of a multiboot system), but haven't been able to get back into it since a windows reinstall overwrote the boot sector and haven't had the time or inclination to reinstall the Mandrake.
I can provide a list of the files in the directory I have MS Space Sim currently installed...perhaps tommorrow after some sleep...and a reboot...

Any help would be apreciated.

Edit: Mobo info updated.
Edit: Some spelling corrected.

Reply 1 of 11, by Travis Reed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Four days and not one single reply...
Guess either no one has a solution and they aren't gonna waste time telling me so, or they don't like that I got MS Space Sim from Underdogs...

If nothing else, I'd like to know why people aren't answering me.

Reply 4 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

VDMSound General

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 11, by Rastus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi travis. Can't offer advice at the moment, however I have EXACTLY the same issue on my pc to, same error when running MSSPACE Sim from Underdogs through DOSbox. If I find anything I'll post it here.

Reply 6 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, for some odd reason illegaly obtained games aren't supported here. Odd. Even odder is the disclaimer at the bottom of each page...yess....interesting.

I don't have the game and the last time I played it was when it first came out, sadly lost my copy some time ago.

What kind of error message do you receive under Windows without DosBox?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-02-26, 06:05. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 11, by Rastus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Note. Speaking for myself, I have a purchased MS Space Simulator which produced this error. I also have the Underdogs download to test if it produced the same result, and it did.

So, all patronising aside, now that we have established that one user in this thread has a legal copy, any contribution from anyone with the technical knowledge capable of aiding with this issue would be greatly appreciated by myself.

Reply 8 of 11, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rastus wrote:

Note. Speaking for myself, I have a purchased MS Space Simulator which produced this error. I also have the Underdogs download to test if it produced the same result, and it did.

Strange. I downloaded a copy from the Underdogs and indeed it doesn't work. Quick debug shows that the copy lacks Setup.ini file with user name and serial number. I created a dummy file with 2 lines of text (random name in the 1st line and some 012345 number in the 2nd one) and the game started. I configured it for 800x600 vesa mode. Why it happens on the original copy I have no idea.

-Mok

Reply 9 of 11, by Artlav

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally some progress after many years of trying!

But the problem only become worse...
After entering the spacesim.exe Dosbox shows "exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal call 7", VDMSound gives some error in "ntvdm", and old pentium-66 box just hangs up and resets :sad:
Ive tryed both HOTU version and one from my own archives.
Setup.ini with only 2 lines of letters and of digits.
Am i doing something wrong?

Reply 10 of 11, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually it's even easier that I wrote previously, in fact the UD copy is correct and no files are missing. You just need to install it properly. I unpacked the UD copy into a folder than mounted it in dosbox 0.63 as A: drive. Then enter A:, run setup.exe, enter any name, choose default install directory and it simply works with no problems.

-Mok