VOGONS

First post, by venomtt1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the fun of it I am playing around with an old copy of FilePro. It works, until it calls on other functions (.exe's in another directory) that are still ran in a command line but asks to be using windows 95 or 98. Any known work arounds without the install Win95 trick!? Thanks for your time!

Reply 1 of 2, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably they just want DOS 7.0 (Win95) or 7.1 (Win95OSR2 up to Win98SE)

try

ver set 7 00

or

ver set 7 10

Note that if you set 7.00, applications may assume support for LFN (VFAT Long filenames), which DOSBox lacks (the DOSBox-X fork does support it).
Likewise if you set 7.10, applications may assume that there is support for FAT32, which DOSBox lacks.

Reply 2 of 2, by HannibalAnthrope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
venomtt1000 wrote on 2020-04-20, 13:47:

For the fun of it I am playing around with an old copy of FilePro. It works, until it calls on other functions (.exe's in another directory) that are still ran in a command line but asks to be using windows 95 or 98. Any known work arounds without the install Win95 trick!? Thanks for your time!

Are you referring to 'filePro' as in the database app by the Small Computer Company?
I used to work with it quite a bit. It's very modular, everything is in it's own separate executable. So if the main menu runs ok, it doesn't mean anything else will. As I recall there were a couple environment variables such as FPPATH which had to be just right. If this is the same app you have, and you don't yet have it going, I will be glad to dig up the info for you. It's a pretty easy to use little db app. It was way ahead of it's time, way back then.
Cheers