VOGONS

First post, by triplanefan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
DosBox 0.63 is a GREAT utility, I have tested it on a number of dos games that I have archived, which didn't work properly on XP.

HOWEVER, the greatest game of them all, Triplane Turmoil from Dodekaedron Squad, doesn't seem to work properly. The first intro screen and the intro music shows up as it should, but the program doesn't get any further (it should go to the next intro screen when I click with the mouse or press a button, but it seems like it doesn't respond to the input devices.)
The same problem appears when I use the Triplane -nosound command line switch, only without the intro music..
The same problem appears with DosBox 0.60-0.62

Info about my computer:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, version 2002 Service Pack 2
IBM Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB RAM

When I type MEM in DosBox, I get these results:
637 Kb free convetional memory
15296 Kb free extended memory
15296 Kb free expanded memory

Anyone who could help?

Reply 2 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

eL_PuSHeR you might want to consider breaking out of the scripts.

triplanefan wrote:

DosBox 0.63 is a GREAT utility, I have tested it on a number of dos games that I have archived, which didn't work properly on XP.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 5, by triplanefan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On dosbox.sourceforge.net, it says that Triplane is supported from version 0.62 and byond, but that must be wrong.. the same problem as above also appears on my laptop with dosbox, except that the intro sound is jerky also..

If I run triplane on my stationary pc by normal means (executing triplane.exe), the game "works" when you:
1. Turn off the sound (if you turn it on, the music sound awful, and apparently plays about twice as slow as usual)
2. Disable the 800x600 VESA mode (graphics looks bad in VESA. I'm a Norwegian, so it's difficult to explain in English how it looks..), and play in standard graphics mode. Each player then get only a quarter of the screen each.. not very convenient..
3. Start triplane for the Windows XP Safe Mode. But then there is no sound in the speaker..

If I run triplane on my laptop by normal means, the game:
1. Works fine in VESA mode
2. The intro music works fine
3. The music works fine in the options window which follows after the second intro screen
4. But when you play, the "slow" sound appears again, only even slower as on the stationary pc
5. When you end gameplay and return to option screen, the music sounds awful also here! And plays slower than on the stationary pc..
6. Starting triplane in safe mode is equal to starting triplane on safe mode on my stationary.

Laptop info:
Packard Bell, AMD Duron Processor (don't know exact Hz, probably 1 GHz)
Microsoft Windows Me (4.90.3000)
556K conventional mem free in command.com

Try and download triplane 1.03 from http://www.megabaud.fi/~teemut/triplane.html and check for yourself!

BTW: Triplane got their keyboard handling routines from the allegro library. Sound Blaster library version 0.5 for DJGPP v.2.0 also used.
BTW2: I also tried VDMSound 2.1.0, but it did not work. Same problems as if I start the program without any emulator.