VOGONS

First post, by SpatulaCity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was just playing my all time favorite game (Privateer) and as I was landing my ship on a planet (so that I could save the game), DosBox 0.63 hung. In the cmd window it gave a bizarre error of:
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed).

The sound is repeating over and over and the game window will not come into focus now. (I play dosbox windowed) My system is Athlon2500+ with 1024 ddr running windows 2000 sp4. This DosBox Privateer game session lasted about 3 hours until it froze.

This is the first glitch I've ran into with DosBox, other than some of the MIDI sounds don't sound exactly as they should.

Anyway, I'd just thought I'd report my findings. If you want any more info, let me know.

Thanks for such a wonderful job so far.

Attachments

• freeze.jpg
    Filename
    freeze.jpg
    File size
    31.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
SpatulaCity wrote:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed).

This is a stupid SDL error saying basically that something went wrong in SDL (so rather useless...).
Just to get some more usefull information: is the problem easily reproducible? I mean - does it happen always at this specific moment in the game?

Mirek

Reply 3 of 3, by Dou9st3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm gonna try that loadfix deal. Personally, having played Privateer on about 5 different machines, from 486 to Pentium Pro, with various hardware, it always crashed occasionally. Usually right when you go to land on a planet you get the infamous hang where it just keeps playing the last tone. In the old days, you pressed the power button for a hard reboot. Now you can hit CTRL-F9 to kill DOSBox at least. Maybe using DOSBox's debugging tools some bright hacker will figure out how to fix it and post an unofficial patch (hint hint). According to Origin, the game never crashed and there were no stability issues. More likely, since it was probably written in hand optimized assembler, they simply had no clue how to fix it.

[edit] On the bright side, the game shouldn't crash too awfully much, just once in a while, usually after some long greuling battles and hard won victories of heroic proportions, you come limping your nearly destroyed ship back to the planet for some well deserved R&R, and *thats* when it happens 🙁

Privateer2 was even more maddening. You could fly around doing distress call missions, which is super fun, but once you had jumped like 30-40 times, it always crashed. Because of that, you really couldn't do those missions which took a lot away from the game IMO. Unfortunately, I can't play Privateer2 yet in DOSBox. Yeah it works, but my Athlon-XP can't crank out enough cycles to make it playable. I'm toying around with the Windows version of P2 and the Wine emulator instead, because thats probably a cheaper way to run it in Linux.