VOGONS

First post, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
  • * Motherboard: ??? (I didn't install the hardware and WCpuid didn't help much either.) 😵
    * Processor type and speed: AMD Athlon processor ~ 1202 mhz
    * Amount of RAM: 256 MB
    * Video: Asus V9180 SE V45.23 (Geforce IV)
    * Sound: No sound card (just a chip on the motherboard with no soundblaster support). 😵
    * Operating system: Windows ME
    * DosBox version: 0.63
    * Game name: Gobliiins version 1.000 9/11/92 DOS

Problem Description - No music in Gobliiins

Hiya, I've recently installed DosBox 0.63 and I'm trying to install Coktel Vision's Goblins series. I already installed (and played) Goblins 3 with DosBox, without any problems, but I do have a problem installing Gobliiins ( the first game in the series). The game itself seems to runs fine and I do hear soundblaster sound effects, but I don't hear any music (there should be music according to the credits).

The loader.exe file generated a go.bat file with the following settings:
LOADER VGA MOUSE LG_US SOUND BLASTER MIDI

I also attached my config file.

Things I've tried:

-I've tried to search these forums for a solution, but I only found topics related to the sound effects in Gobliiins and not about the music.
-I've read the midi section of the Wiki Guide, but it couldn't help me any further because I don't know if and what settings I should change.
-I've tried to run Gobliiins with Windows ME, but that didn't work (error messages, no music and it crashed.)

Attachments

• Filename
    gob1.txt
    File size
    5.19 KiB
    Downloads
    149 downloads
    File comment
    My Gobliiins config file (dosbox0.63)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gobliiins uses CD audio for the sound. Can you play audio CDs on your computer? Do you have the analog audio cable connected between your CD drive and your mother board?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 4, by Telemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree. Music (as well as some ambient sounds, speech) is written in one huge CD-DA track. Old school method typical for games of the first half of 90s. So you must unmute CD input in your windows mixer (and also own full-length CD with audio track or its ISO image).

I'm not sure whether its really necessary to connect your cd drive with audio card using analog cable. Maybe DOSBox handle CD audio without it (the same way modern software media players play back it through IDE cable). Nevertheless you should unmute it. I play Gobliins from mounted ISO image - mounting is done in Alcohol 120%, not directly in DOSBox. Unmuting CD audio input works well even for this virtual cd drive.

I think some passages in Gobliiins don't simply contain any music. But there is still some ambient sound like bird twittering etc.

Reply 3 of 4, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your quick replies, I probably have to play the game without the music and ambients. 🙁

Last edited by NuclearTes on 2005-02-04, 09:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that the version at Underdogs is the floppy version, which should be MIDI music.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers