VOGONS

X-Wing (machine speed question)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Optim_1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, the default settings are the same. Here is my DOSBox configuration file that I am using. Is thre anything out of place? Please help me, thanks.

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1028x1024
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=7000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true

[modem]
modem=false
comport=2
listenport=23

[directserial]
directserial=false
comport=1
realport=COM1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount c c:\DOSDirectory
c:

Reply 21 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Optim_1 wrote:

No, the default settings are the same. Here is my DOSBox configuration file that I am using. Is thre anything out of place?

Nothing completely out of place, I think.

I have some suggestions though:

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto <=== Change this to opl3
oplrate=22050

This is just a suggestion. You can try opl2 too and see if that makes any difference. Perhaps this page will give you an idea what the oplmode is for.

[gus]
gus=true <=== Change this to false

Since you are not using Gravis UltraSound (GUS) better disable it to avoid that the sound detection module makes a silly mistake.

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true <=== Change this to false
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
disney=true <=== Change this to false

Same as before - reduces the risk of false detection.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 22 of 28, by Optim_1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried your suggestions and they all don't work. I even tried reinstalling DOSBox. I reset the Machine Speed setting back to "slow" from "fast" and still couldn't get digitized speech back.

Another option is to reinstall X-Wing from scratch. But I would lose all game information. I got up to Tour of Duty 2 and I don't want to lose that. It took almost three months to get there.

I don't know what happened. I had digitized speech and sound before I screwed up somehow in switching Machine Speed from "slow" to "Fast" and increasing the cycles.

Reply 23 of 28, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So when you set the machine speed back to SLOW, the digitized speech comes back on? Or is it off permanently now?

This is a no-brainer, but make sure that digitized sound is turned on in all the in-game menus (hit ESC), and that the volume is turned up.

If you need to reinstall the game, just back up the file PILOTNAME.PLT in the \Xwing directory, where PILOTNAME is the name of your Pilot. Put it somewhere safe then re-copy it to the new install.

Reply 25 of 28, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cycles control the speed of virtual machine so it is quite logical that the autodetect goes from slow to fast. I also find the default value of 3000 a bit low, it's only enough for 386 era games.
I tested XWing (CD version). It works fine here at around 10000 cycles. With sound and all. What happens if you run 'setmuse'. Is soundblaster set ok? What happens if you press test music and digitalized sound?

Reply 26 of 28, by Optim_1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am embarrased to tell you that I solved the digital speech problem in the stupidest and most ignorant possible way. The volume was not high enough!

I had checked both the master volume on the monitor and the internal volume of the PC and they both was at its highest level. But I didn't know that there was another volume level of the monitor called the stereo which come from those of the stereo speakers installed inside the monitor. My sister plays music CDs on the computer and she was adjusting the wave, swsynth, front, subwooder, center and the other levels of the stereo volume. That was what affected the digital speech and sound but left the music intact. When I re-installed the X-Wing program and still didn't get digital speech and sound, I told my sister if I should re-install the entire computer from the factory settings and that was when she told me she had been adjusting the stereo volume of the monitor and suggested to change them. I put all the stereo volume settings to maximum and I heard crisp digital speech and sound in the X-wing game. Even better than before when I thought I had eliminated it by changing machine speed.

Sorry about everthing.

Reply 27 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

"Experience is just another name for all the mistakes we made in the past"

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions