VOGONS

First post, by Delirium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am using a Macbook Air 1.7GHz Intel Core Processor, with 8GB RAM, & an Intel HD Graphics 5000.

I am running DOSBox-0.74-3-1.

I've looked through multiple guides on multiple sites, as well as watched multiple youtube videos. I am a DOSBOX beginner, which is the problem. I tried following the step by step instructions from this DOSBOX page:

https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=2032&letter=H

"Create the game directory
Copy the complete game content to the game directory
Create a subfolder CD
Copy the complete game content also to this folder
Create a Profile
Start program: HEROES2.EXE
Setup program: INSTALL.EXE
Add a virtual CD-ROM drive
Mount the subfolder CD as the virtual CD-ROM folder
Execute setup
Execute game
If you get a black screen on startup press a key

Addition
If you download "Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars Deluxe Edition" from:
https://archive.org/
Copy the content of the zip file to your game folder and mount a CD image choosing this file from your game folder:
homm2.inst"

I've managed to mount the folder containing all three files, that I've placed in one file. My version of DOSBOX can find the directory, I don't fully understand some of the short hand there. I think my issue is that I don't know how to start a game that uses .cue files. I don't understand the "addition" of the author either. What does it mean to mount a cd image? The archive.org version I downloaded comes in 3 parts with 3 .cue files and no .exe files.

Huge thanks in advance. I never got to play this game when I was a kid.

Best,
Delirium

Last edited by Delirium on 2020-05-05, 22:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Delirium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the site https://www.wikihow.com/Use-DOSBox

advises mounting a .cue or .bin as a disc image by:

"Type imgmount D C:\ImagePath\image.cue -t iso and press ↵ Enter. Replace C:\ImagePath\image.cue with the actual location and filename of the CUE file. The BIN file needs to have the same name and be in the same location."

I typed these commands out exactly form the z:\> prompt:

"mountimg d c ~ users/computer/dosgames/homm2/heroes of might & magic - millennium edition (usa) (disc 1).cue -t iso"

"mountimg d c ~ /users/computer/dosgames/homm2/heroes of might & magic - millennium edition (usa) (disc 1).cue -t iso"

I'm given a message that says: "The image must be on a host or local drive"

I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly? I don't fully understand how to play a game from a mounted disc image.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Delirium on 2020-05-06, 00:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Delirium wrote on 2020-05-05, 23:15:
Type imgmount [...] mountimg [...] I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly? […]
Show full quote

Type imgmount
[...]
mountimg
[...]
I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly?

Is that a typo..?

I'm not sure at all why you're typing "c ~ users" as I am not familiar with OS X. Do you have a folder named "c ~ users"?

Try:

imgmount d "/users/computer/dosgames/homm2/heroes of might & magic - millennium edition (usa) (disc 1).cue" -t iso

Note the position of the quotes.

In any case, this is really a DOSBox problem and not a Macintosh emulation problem. Perhaps this thread can be moved.