VOGONS

First post, by Hot Feces

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, so I know there are other posts regarding Warlords Deluxe and whatnot, but none of them seemed to address the problem I am having.

I am running a Dell Latitude Pentium4
1.60 Ghz processor
512 Meg RAM.
Standard video sound drivers yadda yadda

Nothing out of the ordinary. Now, I have the original CD-Rom of Deluxe that I got years ago and have tried madly to oplay it. I have always got the same message (and this is key) ON INSTALLATION. It says I can't install because of insufficient EMS and not when I try to play it. Turning EMS levels up for the install program does not work either, same message.

So, I read the posts here, got the newest version of DOSbox and learned how to use it decently. Now my problem is that it seems all hte other jokers who have had troubles with it got it to install but couldn't play it. I can't install it and cannot read through the lines in the jibberish that goes on to figure it out.

My situation:
Have To date versin of DOSbox
Have Warlords Deluxe CD rom.
Tried mounting cd drive as my dos thingy and it gave me a code 8 error.
Dying to play game.

Is there something I'm missing? I would really appreciate help. I am sorry if I did not completely meet posting rituals here but I am unfamiliar and seekign help. Tell me if I need to change this post or something in order to conform. I just want to get this figured out so I can lead a happy life.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 7, by Hot Feces

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And of course I neglected to mention that yes, I am running XP. Surprise surprise.

edit - and god damnit, when is SSG gonna give up and just stop supporting this game so we can make it work without all this hassle?

Reply 2 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> all hte other jokers

Ok, jokers may have different version than you.
I don't have the cd, anyways:
Can you install it from within XP (i.e. no dosbox)?
Try to search for the war2d updates, maybe they
help with the cd-installer.

wd

Reply 3 of 7, by Hot Feces

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No it will not install under normal XP. If it did I probably wouldn't have tried to use DOSbox would I?

It gives me the same message in XP on install: error2 insufficient EMS.
DOSbox gives me the error8 *null* message.

Reply 4 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> I probably wouldn't have tried to use DOSbox would I?

Joking?

> It gives me the same message in XP on install: error2 insufficient EMS.

Well right-klick the executable and give it EMS.
Already tried that? OK.

Anyways i recommend to try everything with different
patches, maybe it helps.

wd

Reply 5 of 7, by Hot Feces

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

K, maybe I wasn't quite clear enough.

I am trying to find out if there is a way to install THROUGH DOSbox since it sounds to me in other posts that other people have been able to have it installed without it and then run it through DOSbox.

I already said that EMS was enabled for every program I could and it mad eno difference. I am looking for the necessary instructions perhaps in DOSbox to have it installed correctly.

Patches are irrelevant at the moment. SSG supports Warlords Deluxe in a figurative sense, not a literal sense.

Reply 6 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Hot Feces wrote:

I already said that EMS was enabled for every program I could and it mad eno difference. I am looking for the necessary instructions perhaps in DOSbox to have it installed correctly.

Enabling EMS does not gaurantee that actually get EMS.

Did you try to install the game through XP's NTVDM (a CMD.EXE window)? If so, what are the output from MEM before running the installer? Do you have EMS in NTVDM?

Similar for DOSBox - do you have EMS? And how much?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions