VOGONS

First post, by jeanpave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I have Windows XP right now, so naturally this game does not work directly on my computer. I understand I need to use DOSBox, since 'Inner Worlds' (the version I have) works in DOS.

But when I try to run it, I can only see the little movie at the beginning (the camera moving towards the castle), and then I see a very garbled start screen, which is very pixelated and screwed up and doesn't look at all like it should. If I press 'Enter', the screen goes blank and nothing else happens. I need to press Ctrl+F9 to get out of DOSBox, because it doesn't want to do anything anymore.

Does anyone know if 'Inner Worlds' works or not in DOSBox for sure?

I'm asking because I know that this game requires EMS. In Dosbox.conf, EMS is enabled (true), but maybe there are other setting that need to be changed to make this game run in DOSBox.

So, can anyone help me, please? Thanks in advance.

[Or, if someone can tell me where to get the Windows version of 'Inner Worlds', that would be great! I searched the net, but I could only find DOS versions.]

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Doesn't look too good 🙁

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … =Inner%20Worlds

DOSBox version: 0.62 (broken)

Note: (2004-10-24 06:40) dragonmaster

With sound it shows a screen with a castle and a red sky and freezes then, without sound it doesnt even start.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by Canthlian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never managed to get this one running in Dosbox, and unfortunately, there was never a Windows version. (The closest we had was an icon that exited to DOS and ran it). If I recall correctly, it does run under Virtual PC. You might want to download a trial of that and see.

Reply 3 of 7, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, it looks it will not run with DOSBox at all.
I checked versions 0.62 and 0.63 with different settings, VDMSound also - no success. I've just managed to run it under Windows ME - works OK.

I used to play shareware version of Inner Worlds, but now they made it freeware. It's a pity they didn't release any patches for XP users.

Reply 4 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Well - I DID get "Inner Worlds" to run with DOSBox 0.63 - but something is terrible wrong with the emulated screen.

First I downloaded the freeware version from Home of the Underdogs (size = 10,243,653 bytes, MD5 digest = fae3ad9796ef0857ade9333c165a43bd).

According to the README.TXT, the game is runnable directly from the CD-ROM:

README.TXT wrote:

C:\> MKDIR C:\IW
C:\> CD IW
C:\IW> D:\IW

so I created a "H:\Temp\InnerWorlds\C\IW" and a "H:\Temp\InnerWorlds\D" directory. I unpacked the game into ""H:\Temp\InnerWorlds\D" and started DOSBox with this configuration:

[autoexec]
mount C "H:\Temp\InnerWorlds\C"
mount D "H:\Temp\InnerWorlds\D" -t cdrom

C:
cd IW
D:\IW

And the game hung!

I played around and discovered that the Gravis UltraSound detection routines in the game somehow do not work correctly (or maybe DOSBox is not working correctly), so I had to disable GUS in DOSBox.

Anyway, after having deleted the games local configuration (kept in C:\IW\IW.CFG) in order to force the detection routines to run, I ended up with this DOSBox config:

[cpu]
cycles=7000

[gus]
gus=false

[autoexec]
mount C "H:\Temp\InnerWorlds\C"
mount D "H:\Temp\InnerWorlds\D" -t cdrom

C:
cd IW
D:\IW

With this, the game start, I get sound, but after the intro ends, the screen is all jumpled up. I tried various scalers, outputs (surface, overlay, ddraw), I tried different CPU cores, but nothing seems to affect the graphics.

So that is the status today....

Attachments

• iw_000.png
    Filename
    iw_000.png
    File size
    16.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Part of the intro: Flying towards the castle.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • iw_001.png
    Filename
    iw_001.png
    File size
    23.86 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Part of the intro: Inside the castle.
    File license
  • iw_002.png
    Filename
    iw_002.png
    File size
    34.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Garbled opening screen.
    File license
  • iw_003.png
    Filename
    iw_003.png
    File size
    19.86 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Playing: Do ya feel lucky?
    File license
  • iw_004.png
    Filename
    iw_004.png
    File size
    12.74 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Navigating the menu to exit the game.
    File license

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 7, by jeanpave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the suggestions, guys. So, it's kind of hopeless now, isn't it? Perhaps it will work with a future version of DOSBox...

(I've seen it work on a PC running Windows '98 with EMS enabled -- the last two screens posted by MiniMax are the only ones that look right.)

Canthlian, do you mean 'Microsoft Virtual PC' (2004)? I just thought I should check because, with my luck, I'll probably end up downloading some other stuff.

Reply 6 of 7, by Canthlian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yup. That's the one. Requires a Win98 install CD or DOS install disks, and a fairly fast processor, but it's good for a fair number of old DOS games.