VOGONS

First post, by sadskills

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello
it has been noted earlier that dosbox has trouble emulating the mouse in win3.11 for workgroups. i was wondering if this is something that is able to be fixed, and if so, if any consideration will be put into implimenting it in a future release.
thanks for your time
-sadskills

Reply 3 of 48, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm mouse support for win3.11 isn't that hard.

(it's ready to go in to the offical cvs)

it would only mean a new option in the configuration file

and i wonder if windows is worth a complete option.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 48, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it makes sense to have DosBox only support Windows 3.x for now.

If someone wants to add support for Windows 9x without breaking the usability of DosBox then I'm all for it but that project should be far down the list game compatibility should ALWAYS come first. Some would argue that there are Windows 9x games which need emulation to work properly (old DX games which don't work in NT), well yes but there are FAR more DOS games than Windows games that need to be fixed before we start worrying about Windows.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 48, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would have to agree with DosFreak: would be nice down the road, but not until pure DOS support is more fleshed out. There are a lot of things that could be improved/added still before taking on such ambitious tasks.

Reply 8 of 48, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, most Win9x games that don't work in WinXP (yeah yeah, gross generalizations, blah blah) had an equivilant DOS version, with the Windows interpreter usually being an afterthought (7th Guest, 11th Hour, Constructor, Sierra SCI...).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 48, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Qbix wrote:
uhm mouse support for win3.11 isn't that hard. (it's ready to go in to the offical cvs) it would only mean a new option in the c […]
Show full quote

uhm mouse support for win3.11 isn't that hard.
(it's ready to go in to the offical cvs)
it would only mean a new option in the configuration file
and i wonder if windows is worth a complete option.

YES. 😀 I think that 16 bit Windows (3.x) support belongs to DOSBOX.

Mirek

Reply 10 of 48, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 3x support in DOSBox would be great for when Windows x64 comes out, since 16 bit stuff does not run at all on it. DOSBox or some other emulator will be required if you'll want to run any 16 bit code.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 48, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Don't expect win9x ever to work good under dosbox, there are
several points that won't (ever) work, especially when it comes
to segment faults (limit checking etc.) and page faults.

wd

Reply 12 of 48, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If you are a little handy, you can run Win95/Win98 as a guest OS in Bochs with WinXP as the host.

(screen dump for any non-believers out there)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 14 of 48, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Bochs is just as fast (or slow) as DOSBox, since it emulates all the CPU instructions unlike Virtual PC/VMware where (AFAIK) large portions of the code is run directly by the real CPU (much like NTVDM).

This is not very sciencetific, but it is something: A little QBASIC program, run in 3 different environments:

10 PRINT TIME$
20 x# = 3.1415
30 FOR i = 1 TO 10000
40 x# = x# + SIN(x#)
50 NEXT
60 PRINT TIME$

Bochs: 11 seconds
DOSBox: 25 seconds
WinXP: 0.13 seconds

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 15 of 48, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see. Unfortunately Dosbox runs DOS games requiring comparatively little processing power. Windows 95 / 98 requires much more. How usable in Windows 95 / 98 under Bochs realistically? How fast does it feel?

Reply 16 of 48, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:

Bochs: 11 seconds
DOSBox: 25 seconds
WinXP: 0.13 seconds

YEAY DOSBOX IS THE SLOWEST CLEARLY IT SUCKS DONKEY BALLS EVERYONE GO USE SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111one

(I'm just doing it before the trolls do. Or maybe I am a troll. Bizarre...😜)

P.S. I apologise gratuitously for hijacking this thread.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 19 of 48, by absolutefunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

bah, DosBox for playing games is better than bochs. The way I see it, why spend all your time setting up the emulator when you can just get right into gaming. Also, DosBox has something that Bochs prolly never will have: active development! Give DosBox some time and it'll become a powerhouse 😀 DosBox is the only prog I have in which you can actually see a difference with each release. Speaking of which, who here actually has a hand in writing DosBox? Is it just QBix?

-Brian