VOGONS

Reply 20 of 48, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am not saying that Bochs is better than DOSBox - that would be like comparing oranges to apples. They are both emulators, but their goals are different.

The goal of Bochs is to provide an IA-32 platform that will run any IA-32 code, including operating systems like MS-DOS, FreeDOS, DR-DOS, Win9x, WinNT, Linux, Novell, etc, etc. It also aims at providing an environment that makes it possible to debug the IA-32 code (e.g. device drivers) running in the emulator.

With the new imgmount and boot commands in DOSBox 0.62, DOSBox is starting to offer some of the same flexibility as Bochs wrt. being able to run a wider selection of operating systems, but the ability to emulate a wider range of hardware (except for game-related devices such as sound and graphics) is still (and will continue to be?) limited compared to Bochs.

Finally, I do not agree when DOSBox fans say that Bochs is difficult to configure. It is different, but not difficult. E.g. while DOSBox supports mounting of virtual hard drives, virtual CD-ROM's and virtual diskettes, Bochs simply gives you a diskette controller and up to 4 emulated ATA-controllers, complete with master and slave devices. You point the controller(s) to an image file, set the geometry, inserted/ejected status, boot your operating system and load any required devices drivers - exactly as you would in the good, old days. True, it can be a little picky about the driver, but the Oaktree driver that came with Win98 works fine for me when I want to access an emulated CD-ROM attached as a slave devices to ATA-0.

You want networking? Load an NDIS driver that speaks to the emulated 3Com card, and you can run IPX or TCP/IP to your heart bursts open.

(can I be the 3rd hijacker, please?)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 21 of 48, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
absolutefunk wrote:

who here actually has a hand in writing DosBox? Is it just QBix?

Harekiet is the other main DOSBox dev, and he makes an appearance now and then. Canadacow apparently has developer status on DOSBox as well.

MiniMax: You're too late, I just hijacked it again 😉

Reply 22 of 48, by absolutefunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh okay, thanx!

Say, does bochs only emulate an SB16 or does it also emulate a decent midi source as well? SB16 midi is pretty bad. DosBox does an awesome job of wavetable midi BTW.

-Brian

Reply 24 of 48, by XulChris

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sadskills wrote:
hello it has been noted earlier that dosbox has trouble emulating the mouse in win3.11 for workgroups. i was wondering if this i […]
Show full quote

hello
it has been noted earlier that dosbox has trouble emulating the mouse in win3.11 for workgroups. i was wondering if this is something that is able to be fixed, and if so, if any consideration will be put into implimenting it in a future release.
thanks for your time
-sadskills

It's working for me with latest CVS, I didn't even have to change an option.

Reply 25 of 48, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
sadskills wrote:

It's working for me with latest CVS, I didn't even have to change an option.

Yes, it was a happy side effect of one of QBIX's fixes a few days ago.

Mirek

Reply 26 of 48, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can anyone point me to a guide or an in depth discussion on how to install WfW on Dosbox? The search produces too many non-results on this.
Way back when the imgmount was in CVS and the first hint of windows 3.1 support showed here I toyed a bit with it, but temporary loss of interest, booze and drugs totaled that part of my memory 😀
Do you still need to mount a "valid" dos image for it to work, or is it enough to mount the medium the setup files are on and install it in normal dosbox now?
I can easily (or could easily at least) compile dosbox myself if support for that requires CVS.
And sorry for gravedigging this thread 😀

Reply 28 of 48, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, gonna have to try this out RIGHT NOW!
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Seems Dosbox has eliminated ALL need for me to have a "real" PC-Emulator. This is gonna be fun 😀

Reply 32 of 48, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That thread Windows 3.1 in 256 colours is important to read for making Windows work.
Unfortunately mouse won't work for me all the time in Windows 3.11 (WfW and normal). In WFW it only works after I changed the display driver to either vga or vga 3.0 through setup and then boot win. Strange behavior.
And the S3 drivers don't work at all (anymore?).
Going to try a built not by myself to test it further.

But it felt just like ancient times, setting up Windows, then blowing it again 😀

Reply 33 of 48, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

are you certain you are using the cvs.
I tested and some other people tested it as still working.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 36 of 48, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to run Win 3.1 in Dutch with mouse which is great but ...

Is there a way to make use those S3 drivers? I always get a video initialisation error when booting Windows (non-enhanced mode). I also don't know how I could install sound drivers - any ideas about that? Or do you know a place where I can download suitable drivers.

Reply 38 of 48, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

red_avatar are you using the cvs ?
else it will not work. There are many changes in the cvs that contribute to the stability of windows in enhanched mode. including soundblaster sound

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 39 of 48, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

c:\win /b doesn't work?

It does, but that's not enhanced mode is it? Win /3 doesn't work.

If I use the latest CVS, I get to run Windows 3.1 with win /3 but I don't have mouse support.