VOGONS

First post, by Dou9st3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My old Privateer game always asks for an io address and an irq when I set it up for general midi sound. It works seemingly no matter what irq I give it, but I just wondered if it matters, and what is the recommended setting?

I use:
io=0x330
irq=9

Should I set it to the same IRQ as the emulated SB16 or should I just pick one that is different, like the IRQ 9 which I am using above?

Reply 2 of 2, by Dou9st3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

You should use IRQ 2
But not many games really use IRQ for midi.

Maybe it would be good to put a comment in the dosbox config file which mentions this in the Midi section? Something like:

[midi]
# Note: DOSBox General Midi uses base=330 irq=2
# mpu401 -- Enable MPU-401 Emulation.
# intelligent -- Operate in Intelligent mode.
# device -- Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.
# config -- Special configuration options for the device.

I set Privateer's General Midi as above and it seems to be working just fine. I did a quick search on IRQ's and in DOS, IRQ 9 was software redirected to IRQ 2, where IRQ 2 is the I/O Channel. Cut out the middle-man I suppose.

I gotta say, you guys have made my day. I can play that game better than I ever could now, and it looks great on my 20" monitor! I used to play it on my Compaq Contura 4/25c Laptop with no sound and a trackball! Privateer and Righteous Fire are by far my favorite Wing Commander games, and my favorite DOSBox apps also, followed closely by X-COM UFO Defense. You DOSBox guys are really helping make Linux a great gaming platform.

Playing Privateer in Linux, thats just awesome. Hell, it barely worked in real DOS! You had to have just the right hardware, a dedicated boot disk, it was a huge pain to run. Now its a peice of cake!