VOGONS

First post, by steven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to run MPS M1 tank platoon (version 1) and the game loads to a point where it asks for the original disk to be inserted.

When I tell the game it is in A drive, the fdd light does nothing, so I presume that dosbox is not giving tank platoon full access to the fdd.

The game uses "key disk" copy protection, which is some sort of coding stored in a special area of the disk. Game will not continue loading without verifying the orig disk being present.

I can browse the tank platoon disk, but I just can't access this special copy protection section on the disk, and also I can't see the label on the disk.
The label contains an ASCII character (possibly this is the key disk feature) so I cannot use the label command in dosbox.
I have already unsuccessfully tried mounting the drive with the "-t floppy"

Any other suggestions to improve dosbox's ability to recognise the key disk feature??

Reply 5 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you misunderstood me. Owning an original game SHOULD entice you to make a backup copy, but that may be subject to change and it may depend on your country's laws. Anyway, just check for a crack elsewhere on the net. It shouldn't be that hard to find. Good luck. We are not held responsible for your conscience, though.

PS - I hope you catch my "drift" about this matter...

I say it again: We don't endorse crack/warez/abandonware or the such here. I hope you understand. We cannot provide you with a crack because THERE AREN'T ANY OF THEM HERE.

Reply 6 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

(since the question is about labels and low-level disk support in DOSBox I am moving it to the DOSBox Games/Apps secion)

steven wrote:
I am trying to run MPS M1 tank platoon (version 1) and the game loads to a point where it asks for the original disk to be inser […]
Show full quote

I am trying to run MPS M1 tank platoon (version 1) and the game loads to a point where it asks for the original disk to be inserted.

When I tell the game it is in A drive, the fdd light does nothing, so I presume that dosbox is not giving tank platoon full access to the fdd.

<snip>

I have already unsuccessfully tried mounting the drive with the "-t floppy"

Any other suggestions to improve dosbox's ability to recognise the key disk feature??

steven, have your tried making an image of the diskette and use that with the imgmount command?

Alternatively, you could try going the whole ½ mile, and use boot and imgmount to start a real MS-DOS (or FreeDOS) session.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 7, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This problem is really a DOSBox problem. I have a similar problem using dBase IV applications (DOSBox is much nicer to look at on a Windows system than the default Windows DOS box). dBase is free to access any and all drives on a system, but DOSBox is not so adept at accessing other drives. Perhaps DOSBox will improve its disk access eventually
🙄