VOGONS

First post, by pierex1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to have DosBox incorporate VDMSound's midi emulation? The reason I ask is thus:

I have rediscovered the joy that is Starflight. However, if I run it under Winxp, or VDMsound or Moslo I get uneven run speeds but I do get sound.
On the other hand, If I use DosBox the game plays wonderfully but without that crazy midi sound. I have tried to run an autoexec.bat contanting Dosdrv.exe file through D-fend and Dosbox but after dosdrv is executed dosbox shuts down. I am unable to tell if it executed with or without any errors. I also have not been able to figure out how to config Dosbox's midi settings so they are the same as VDSM's. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Dosbox to use work with VDMSound or how to config Dosbox's midi settings. I have to admit that I am out of my league here so detailed instuctions written for a total noob, while might sting the old pride alittle, would be most wellcome. 😊

my specs are:
Win xp pro
3.4 gig pent
2g ram
Creative sb Audigy 2

Reply 1 of 5, by pierex1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know how to get the sound working for Starfilght when using Dosbox? I am at a lose here. The game speed is best when played on dosbox but I miss the old school midi sound. If anyone detail help... While I would be very gratfull 😁

P4 3.4 gig
2g ram
Creative sb Audig 2
Dosboc .63
D-fend V2

Reply 2 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DOSBox supports MIDI just fine. Must be a problem with the sound setup in Startflight?

Which options do you have for selecting "Music" and "Sound (effects)" in the game?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 5, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are no versions of Starflight (1 or 2) for PC that I know of that use anything other than internal speaker sound. The only music I know of is the title screen tune from the first game.

Reply 5 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried to post in this thread earlier, but the forum wouldn't let me for some reason.

There is no MIDI music in the Starflight games. They only use the PC speaker for sound.