VOGONS

First post, by enchantedmoons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. Well after trying on and off to run Stonekeep I've decided to try again....I just can't give up on it yet! Anyway, I'm getting an error message and wanted to see if anyone has gotten this one before and how you might have fixed it.

After I get to the point of being at C:\INTRPLAY\Stonkeep.bat, it takes me to the registration screen. I clicked "register later" and then ENTER, and the DOS screen came up and it sounded as if the game was going to play. Then I got an error message saying, "Cannot find config file. Run setup".

I've run the setup right after I put the CD in and installed it, and after looking in my C drive, I don't see a place where I can look at or change the config files.

Does anyone know what I can do from here to fix this?

Thanks so much!!!!
Tracy

Reply 1 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The game should work in DOSBOX without any problems. Write precisely what you did (I mean all commands ...)
I assume you are talking about running in DOSBOX (if no, then go to DOS forum).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 8, by enchantedmoons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Mirek. I appreciate your help. Here is what I did from start to finish in DOSBox:

Z:\ mount c c:\
C:cd INTRPLAY
C:\INTRPLAY\stonkeep.bat
enter

Then the message comes up saying that it cannot find the config file and to run setup. However, just now I tried this again and got a totally different message. This one said "Illegal command. d:\data\SK.exe".

I hope that this helps to make it clear what I've been doing and what's happening. It seems like in the second message that the program is searching for the game on "D" rather than in "C", and I'm not sure why.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you and thanks again for your help!

Tracy

Reply 3 of 8, by enchantedmoons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mirek,

Sorry I just realized something....when I have the DOSBOX mount d d:\ first, then mount c c:\ right afterwards and then follow the rest of what I put in, it's then that I get the "cannot find config" error. When I just go directly from Z: to mounting c c:\, then I get the error saying "d:\data\sk.exe"

Hope that helps!

Tracy

Reply 4 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Stonekeep is a CD ROM game, isn't it? You should mount CD ROM as D:.

Complete process would be probably like this:
1. Mount c: (harddisc)
2. Mount d: (CD ROM)
3. Install the game from CD ROM to harddisc
4. Run the game

Mirek

Reply 5 of 8, by enchantedmoons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for that. I just went through and did that, mounting C first, then once in C, mounting D, then doing cd intrplay, then intrplay\stonkeep.bat

I got the same config error as before though. Hmm.....I'm not sure what's up, but I'll keep fiddling with it. If you have any other suggestions I'd really appreciate them! If not, I appreciate your help so far and I'll see what I can figure out. I think if I could find the config file I'd be able to do something with it, but if I did, I'd probably be clueless as to what that was. 🤣

Anyway, thanks again and take care.

Tracy

Reply 6 of 8, by SoulSkorpion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When you ran setup originally, did you do it from DOSBox? If you didn't, try running DOSBox with everything set how it's going to be when you try to run the game (ie, all the necessary drives mounted). Some games seem to not work properly if their setup programs are run in a different environment to the games themselves.

Reply 7 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I recall that you had to install the game and then go the cdrom and type sk.bat there or so ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 8, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I just installed stonekeep under 0.63 to test it as I'm also thinking of playing it soon.
It ran without any problems. This is what I did,
My real CD-ROM drive is E:\ under windows XP so I executed the following commands in dosbox.

mount C C:\
mount D E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
D:
install

I chose to install the game to C:\games\stonkeep and I selected full install.

To run the game, I can now execute the following on starting dosbox
mount C C:\
mount D E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
C:
cd \games\stonkeep
sk

I choose "register later" and then the game runs (I notice that sk.bat in the game install directory first runs eregcard.exe and then sk.exe off the CD-ROM) I also ran sk.exe from the CD-ROM manually "D:\data\sk.exe" and the game ran fine so I assume the eregcard line can just be commented out of sk.bat to prevent the reg screen from appearing again.

I now just run the two mount commands from the end of dosbox.conf to save me from typing them every time I play a CD based game (World of Xeen needs the -ioctl switch, I don't know whether or not stonekeep needs it, but leaving it in doesn't seem to cause any problems)
Also, I'm running at 20,000 cycles - looks like the game demands a resonably fast machine - at the time of writing that is.

Hope this is of some help to you,
benkid77