magic carpet toooooooo slow!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's -ioctl, not -otcl.

Save states has been discussed at length and it has been determined that this is a very non-trivial task due to the complexity of the PC (it's not like a console, especially for games that use the disk to temporarily store data).

Reply 21 of 21, by Thotihe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, -ioctl... Got that right... Just not in the post. ;;) Again, it seems to have something to do with this old "gold box" version of Magic Carpet.

I wish there was some way to find out for sure what the problem is, for sake of DosBox development, if nothing else. But hey, at least I've a working copy now.

Still, it doesn't play as nicely as I'd like it to. I can't play it in high res mode (which is the way I was accustom to it), and it crashes quite often (just not so often as to be unplayable).

I think DosBox may not be the best choice for this game. I'm looking into using VDMSound and SpeedSet or Moslo. So far no go though. Seems VDMSound doesn't like the slow down software it comes with.

This is one of those games that really needs to be remade as a MOD, and frankly, I'm surprised as hell it hasn't... I remember the Savage engine even had deformable terrain... Hmmm...

My quest for the perfect magic carpet ride will continue!!! 😁