VOGONS

First post, by oldtimes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for this cool program. Let me know if any of these issues are specific to me, also if you need further "debug" information let me know how to get it to you. These are all with the stock standard 0.63 on AMD XP 3200 running Windows 2000 SP4.

Descent - with the dynamic core this program creates a file! and corrupts the installation. The only way around it I've found is to delete and reinstall and then use the normal core. Normal works fine albeit it not as fast.

Abe Exoddus (abe.bat and abedos.exe). This one is weird I run abe.bat and nothing crashes (the CPU bounces around for > 10 minutes) but I see nothing. This includes when I've mounted the cd or when I've created an .iso of it. I load it in the debugger and when its in this state pressing "pause" doesn't break to the debugger its like it has hung.

MechWarrior 2. I tried to follow the instructions posted earlier in this forum. mech2.exe loads fine. I run the game up to "go to battle" and it then spawns mwshell.exe and reports an error (something like should be run from mech2.exe).

XCom 3. Using the dynamic or the normal core with the cd iso mounted as D I get Error [35]: Unexpected Interrupt=000B in SMKP.EXE at 0080:0BAD code=4B50 ss=00A8 ds=00A8 es=0000 ax=0000 bx=F119 cs=0000 sp=7240 bp=7250 si=00a8 di=00a8. Also the sound card setup doesn't work. In the sound card setup program it always tells me "Your sound card is not compatible with [SoundBlaster, GUS, ....]" I tried disabling all except one and playing with values with no luck.

Thanks enough for one post, thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to win3.11 support and hopefully win95 support so I can finally play "The Feeble Files" again (supported in win95/98 but not beyond that).

Reply 1 of 1, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Game issues: every game should go into a separate thread (unless there is the same general problem in more games). Putting more games into one post just makes mess and your problems will be probably ignored.

Dynamic core: it is less compatible then normal (this is the main reason why it is not default).

Windows: 16 bit Windows are progressing well, but do not expect W9x. DOSBOX was made for certain purpose (DOS). IMHO W9x are already too different. I mean that supporting them would probably cause problems and would not be very good. There are better alternatives for W9x (e.g. MS Virtual PC, VMWare etc, possibly even Bochs).
Let's keep DOSBOX where it is best (and be happy for some W3.x support - it was not something QBIX and HAREKIET were enthusiastic about to have in DOSBOX).

Mirek