VOGONS

Ultima 8 doesn't like me

Topic actions

First post, by Chetic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I'm new to the forum, from Sweden bla bla..
Let's get to the point you say?
I agree...

Ultima 8 works great in dosbox with the one single exception that it likes to take 0.5 second pauses every now and then.
Walking is a good example; Every three steps or so it takes a half second and goes to get some coffee or whatever.

I have searched and found nothing that could help me

The cycles have been messed with more than enough to find out that that is not the cause. Frameskipping doesn't seem to fix it either.

I'm using DosBox 0.63 in Gentoo Linux. The operating system doesn't matter since I get the exact same problem in Windows XP.

I really want to play this game again.. Such an amazing game.
If you've figured out a way to fix this problem (which I know someone has from a previous thread (which didn't seem to work for me)), don't hesitate to REPLY NOW!
🙁

[EDIT] It seems more like 0.2 seconds actually 😜

Kal Vas Flam

Reply 2 of 31, by Chetic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure what you mean by fast..
I've got an AMD XP 1800+ with 512mb ddr ram (266mhz)

Tried dynamic but it didn't seem to make a difference..
😢 😠 🙁 😒

Kal Vas Flam

Reply 3 of 31, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Chetic wrote:

Tried dynamic but it didn't seem to make a difference..
😢 😠 🙁 😒

Dynamic core should allow you to use much higher cycles than normal (before the sound starts to skip etc.). In other words: it allows quicker emulation on the same computer.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 31, by Chetic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds interesting..
Trying..

It's still slow (not as slow though) at 25-30000 but the sound skips alot..
I'll try this on a P4 3.2ghz I happen to have nearby at the moment and see how that goes

Kal Vas Flam

Reply 5 of 31, by Chetic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It worked almost perfect on that computer..
bloody hell, Ultima 8 today requires 3 ghz, that's just crazy.

I had about 19000 cycles and it ran pretty damn good.
It took the same pauses as this computer except they only happened like once every minute. 😒

Kal Vas Flam

Reply 8 of 31, by Chetic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The speed isn't always slow..
It skips every now and then.
Frameskipping hasn't helped one bit, I've experimented with it way too much..
😢

I will once again try to use that stupid Win9x patch that has never worked and screw around with it until I have hung myself. Bye.

Kal Vas Flam

Reply 9 of 31, by Chetic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get to play for about 20 seconds with non-functional sound that almost gives me tinnitus, hooray...... 😠

Hasn't anybody had Ultima 8 working properly on a computer with less than 3ghz? (w/ DosBox)

Kal Vas Flam

Reply 13 of 31, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been running Ultima 8 Just fine in DOSBox 0.63, pre and after for a long time now.
I have a 2.4 gHz. It's an Intel Processor too. Pentium 4.

/Ieremiou

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 14 of 31, by Derag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoa...U8 working properly in DosBox on a comp with less than 3GHz?! I have an XP2700+, 1GB of PC2700 Ram and a 9700 Pro, and the game runs perfectly.

U89x has always been buggy...for me, in 98SE the sound effects never worked (they would be on for about 5 seconds then go off for the rest of the session), and in XP, the sound and music just crackles and screeches at me, VDMS or not.

What version of the game are you running, btw?

Reply 17 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could go into it...but it might upset you more. 🤑 Besides everything else doesn't affect dosbox much since its soley CPU dependant. Though, dos games sound pretty nice on an Audigy 2 ZS. 😁

Reply 18 of 31, by Derag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nah, I won't be upset. I enjoy such discussions. I've got an old Live! Platinum here...I haven't heard much difference in the Audigy 2s, although they support more stuff than mine...those Audigy 4s, however, I hear are a huge improvement.

Reply 19 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my first 24 bit soundcard....the best I had before was an old Live value...and theres a big improvement! 😉 Btw, I'll post such a discussion in the Specs forum...that way its not off topic