Ultima 8 doesn't like me

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Derag wrote:

those Audigy 4s, however, I hear are a huge improvement.

Well, you've heard exactly the opposite of what I've read from several (scientific) reviews. The noise floor is dropped a few dB, the crosstalk is marginally reduced, but it's otherwise identical to the Audigy 2.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 21 of 31, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed. The difference between the SB Live! and a SB Audigy 4 is surprisingly small. Or maybe not really surprising, since they all use the EMU10K1 or EMU10K2 chipsets. Later cards have a better DAC, though.

Because of this it's possible to mod a Live! -> Audigy 2. http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t= … 04&page=1&pp=15

Creative already have monopoly so why improve their cards?

Reply 23 of 31, by Eemis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i have a same problem i guess. That works, but so slowly.
And how do i control those frameskipping etc? And how can i put Dosbox to fullscreen? I have dosbox v0.63 .

I have ok computer.. dunno details.. if i remember right this is 1400mhz.
U8 Pagan worked in my old computer, in msdos perfectly.

That Pentagram thing, i didn't get it working, i didn't understand those helps in readme hehe. I don't know how i can get it working.

😐 Help me :I

Reply 25 of 31, by Eemis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:
Eemis wrote:

And how do i control those frameskipping etc? And how can i put Dosbox to fullscreen? I have dosbox v0.63 .

Read the README !

Mirek

Thanks, now i learned somehow how to use this better, U8 works now playable! Thanksss 🤣

Reply 26 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, there is a Frame Limiter in Ultima 8's menu that you can turn off for some speed improvement. There is also a frame skipper in game too. I find that this can even make the game a bit too fast, but if your having trouble running it I woud suggest this FIRST before making dosbox skip frames.

Reply 27 of 31, by Eemis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, there is a Frame Limiter in Ultima 8's menu that you can turn off for some speed improvement. There is also a frame skipper in game too. I find that this can even make the game a bit too fast, but if your having trouble running it I woud suggest this FIRST before making dosbox skip frames.

I know that. That doesn't help so much, but that is now playable somehow. So i don't need help anymore 😀 But thanks.

Reply 28 of 31, by cpusavant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I have a problem with Ultima 8 that I can't solve for the life of me. Every time I save the game and then exit DOSBox, I can't load that saved game. U8 simply doesn't recognize that there's a saved game file there. Can anyone help me? The alternative is leaving my computer on all the time, and this eats up a lot of electricity.

By the way, I run an Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 MB DDR and a GeForce 5200 with 256MB GDDR, and U8 runs fine for me. Just can't save a game at all.

Reply 29 of 31, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check to see if any files are write protected - Ultima may use a file to point to all savegames like a lot of old games did so the savegames may be there, but if the file is write protected, it won't want to save the name of the savegame etc.

Reply 30 of 31, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cpusavant, I had seen a similar problem a couple years ago. Ultima 8 would work fine until you quit, but when you restarted it complained of an improper installation.

For some reason a file wasn't being erased during the install. The solution was to install the game, then go into the /static directory and manually delete the u8shapes.cmp file before running Ultima 8 a second time. After doing that I was able to run the game properly.

Reply 31 of 31, by cpusavant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey, nevermind, guys. I got Pentagram and it's working absolutely beautifully. Just be sure to save often, as the program can freeze and crash unexpectedly (Pentagram is still in development, and not officially released yet.) Everything works perfectly. It saves and reloads fine, and fast too, and gameplay is great also. Jumping is a little tough, what with clicking both mouse buttons at the same time. Sometimes you go running off the ledge. But that was tough in the original game as well. Anyways, thanks for the help, guys.