VOGONS

First post, by BombTek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off: I've searched here and on google and wherever else I could for anything, but no luck..

Problem: Get blasted with "SDL Lock Failed" when Ria screen is finished
Tried: Changing SDL options to everypossible setting, with no avail, tried new SDL.dll from libsdl.org. game won't even load. Copy old SDL back.

I can get the SDL lock Failed to not appear using this config:

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullwidth=640
fullheight=480
output=overlay
[dosbox]
language=
machine=auto
memsize=64

[render]
aspect=false
scaler=none

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=10000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
wavedir=waves

[midi]
mpu401=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sblaster=true
base=220
irq=5
dma=1
sbrate=22050

[gus]
gus=false

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050

[bios]

[dos]

xms=true
ems=true

[modem]

[autoexec]
mount c g:\arena
c:
arena

But the above crashes in same place, but it corrupts some of the files? b/c I have to unzip the arena dir again w/ new files or it will not even load.

Any ideas?
TIA
BT

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well first of all you seem to be using an old version of dosbox.
not that it will solve your problem
next sdl-lock faileds are outside the control of dosbox (we just report them to you)

you might have luck in seeing if there are new video drivers available for your videocard.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 9800 Pro 256MB AGP 8x using the stock Catalyst 4.12's (I prefer to tweak them myself using ATI Tray Tools and Radlinker, rather than relying on Omega/DNA/whatever pre-tweaks and weird OpenGL version substitutions) and DOSBox 0.63 and Arena works fine for me. Try the following:

1. Use stock DOSBox 0.63 with the included version of the SDL DLLs (using versions from other DOSBox releases or the SDL web site or whatever may cause instability, as the DOSBox devs test each version of DOSBox with whatever SDL DLLs they include with it).
  2. Set memsize=32 in your dosbox.conf (since EMS maxes out at 32MB anyways).
  3. Configure Arena to use no sound (just to narrow things down - if it works then try enabling sound and see if that breaks it).
  4. Make sure you're using the latest patched version of Arena as well (Bethesda games are BUGGY because they're big and ambitious for their times).

The game is a bit slow for me on an Athlon XP 2600+ w/1GB RAM under Win XP SP2. Using the dynamic core helps. You'll probably also run into annoying mouse cursor problems (which have been reported to QBix and will hopefully be investigated).

Reply 5 of 7, by BombTek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, finally got it working. What I did was:

Put arena on IBM P-133 64MB machine, hooked IBM into my KVM. All is well. Also gotta love the sound from my AWE64 Gold. Thanks for all the help, but I think that arena just runs best in its own pond.. 😁 Good thing is I can also run Daggerfall no problems, and when I pick up another cheap ATX case I have a PII-300 and a 3dfx 16MB Voodoo3 that plays Redguard like a champ... 😎

Cheers,
BT

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't like these oddball driver hack-up collections out there. These people don't write the code. They are just guessing and they can't possibly have a large enough sample of systems to get it right....if 'right' is even possible by hacking registry settings and mixing driver revisions.......

Reply 7 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

swaaye: agreed. Not only do you depend on them to guess the best settings for your system (as you mentioned) but also you're relying on them having a clue about what all the tweakable options do and which way to set them for the best blend of stability, performance, and quality (which I might add is a very subjective thing).