VOGONS

First post, by krondor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I was trying to run Betrayal at Krondor, after a little fiasco over being able to access the correct directory it ran. But I'm picky and I want to run it in XP. I know it works because I have done it before, but now when I try it, the program insists there is not enough memory. I've tried all kinds of things to get it to run. I'm just wondering what Dosbox is doing exactly that lets it work. Yes, it's an emulator...but does that mean it doesn't see all the memory or what? It is simply a riddle of utilization, I think.

I just want to know what sort of things Dosbox does regarding the memory. In theory I could just stick that in autoexec/config.nt and run the program, correct?

I gave Dosbox all my memory (as opposed to 16MB) and it still ran in Dosbox. It was capped at 64MB however, that may be it altogether.

Reply 1 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try searching the forums? I remember Betrayal at Krondor was discussed several times.

What version of DOSBox have you tried? If BAK worked for you earlier, maybe latest DOSBox version introduced some sort of bug. You should try an earlier version, specifically the one it worked for you. Always do a clean installation or regenerate a new dosbox.conf

Regarding one of your queries. I think DOSBox doesn't have anything to do with the autoexec.nt or config.nt files, but i am not totally sure.

And one last thing: Posting a message with such a vague thread title could be considered an offense to netiquette. 😁

Reply 2 of 3, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

BAK works in DOSBOX (I tested it a few days ago).

As for other things:
>I just want to know what sort of things Dosbox does regarding the
>memory. In theory I could just stick that in autoexec/config.nt and run
>the program, correct?
Completely wrong! I am too lazy to explain - basically DOSBOX memory and your physical memory are two different things...

If you have problem with memory in WXP (outside of DOSBOX), then it is very probably a problem with missing EMS. Search VOGONS - basically there is a device (legacy USB support or network adapter etc.) which occupies area where EMS should - it is usually possible to find the problem by switching off these things in BIOS.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The original poster is referring to the fact that it works in dosbox and not in XP

He wants to know how dosbox achieves this.

Although I'm capable of doing this I will not explain it as it's very long explanation and hard to follow.

Let's say from a game perspective you are running the game on 386/486 DX with 16 mb RAM VESA 2.0 DOS 5.0 when you run it inside dosbox.

As BAK runs on specification. It runs in dosbox.

XP is offers a very fast pc. say a pIII 3.0 GHZ LOT's more memory

A worthless videocard (for dosgames) and an incompatible DOS.
Choose which part is wrong.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!