VOGONS

First post, by syntaxglitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I know this has been gone over before. OMF works beautifully, except that if I try and use modem networking it complains about no UART detected. I gathered from some posts in the forum that this involves OMF calling a BIOS interrupt that dosbox doesn't handle....?

Is this still the case, or am I merely doing something stupid that's causing it to not work?

If modem play in OMF is indeed not supported, is there any chance of support being added in the future?

If adding support for this is not planned, can someone give me an idea of how difficult it might be to add it myself? I know C++ but I'm pretty hazy on how bios function calls and the dosbox modem emulation would actually work. 🙁 I'm guessing it'd be beyond me but I'd really like to be able to play OMF with people over the internet.

Reply 2 of 9, by syntaxglitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I enabled the modem emulation--I even checked to make sure the relevant TCP port was being opened and listened on.

However, I'm running on linux, not a Windows--I wouldn't think that'd make a difference for emulation, though, since a simple TCP connection is done pretty much the same way under both operating systems.

Reply 4 of 9, by syntaxglitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really? It DOES seem to be opening the port to listen on, and getting that much done is 90% of the effort most of the time.

If it really does only work on Win32 that's just silly. I think I'll go look at the source code and see if I can do something about that. 😖

Reply 6 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Snover wrote:

Modem emulation is only implemented on Win32. Sorry.

@snover, el_pusher
You are confusing modem emulation with direct serial !
a) Modem emulation is supported everywhere. I do not know why it does not work here. CANADACOW could know, maybe he will notice it here.

b) Direct serial is supported on Windows only. This is direct access to a physical serial port.

Mirek

Reply 7 of 9, by syntaxglitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:
@snover, el_pusher You are confusing modem emulation with direct serial ! a) Modem emulation is supported everywhere. I do not k […]
Show full quote
Snover wrote:

Modem emulation is only implemented on Win32. Sorry.

@snover, el_pusher
You are confusing modem emulation with direct serial !
a) Modem emulation is supported everywhere. I do not know why it does not work here. CANADACOW could know, maybe he will notice it here.

b) Direct serial is supported on Windows only. This is direct access to a physical serial port.

Ohhkay, haven't looked at the code yet but that makes a LOT more sense to me. I want modem emulation, via TCP connection, and I found some older posts here that indicated the game I'm trying does something wonky with an unsupported BIOS call that makes dosbox unhappy... 😖