VOGONS

First post, by Monzor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I recently bought (yes BOUGHT 😀 ) bedlam. I tried to install it with dosbox 0.63 with opengl and alsa compiled in. First i get in a dos setup menu where i can select sound and test it.

Several soundcards such as SB16 seem to work when testing it. The game can then also be started an actually be played. That is: you can move around.

Ingame the sound doesn't work anymore unfortunatly. Also the game seems to have a really low fps, even with some .dosbox "tweaks".

Anyway, i think the game should be rated "runable on the
runable - playable - supported
bar associated with Bedlam.
Also i'd like to figure out what's causing the nosound and slow performance problems so perhaps the game can be rated playable or even supported !

Reply 1 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can enter this information into the game database on the DOSBOX site yourself.
No sound: no idea, did you configure everything ok and tried all different soundcards?
Slowness: it is a relative thing. There are settings in DOSBOX influencing speed. Also there is also a vast difference how a game runs on 450 Mhz Pentium3 or 3 Ghz Athlon/Pentium 4... (I mean it generally, i do not know Bedlam...).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 4, by Monzor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aha, i have to click that tiny little icon to do that 😉 perhaps it's an idea to make it more noticeable...
Anyway, the machine i'm tryings this on is a 2Ghz+ machine (or 3200 in AMD's system) so the emulation shouldnt be a problem, at least i think. I tried several soundcards but none of them gives sound ingame. Also nosound doesn't improve the fps.

Reply 3 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BEDLAM? Isn't that an old CGA arcade game that had NO SOUND (Not even internal speaker)? 😕

According to Mobygames they list just one BEDLAM (newer, different). I have the other one (much, much older) lying around somewhere. Of course, it runs superb under DOSBox, but you've got to keep the cycles very low (100 or so) because it was meant for the XT PC (4.77MHz) 😁

Reply 4 of 4, by Monzor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It does say v2.0 on startup if that's what you mean by new version?

Anyway, shouldve read better i think: the game seems to start with a rate of CPU:2500 cycles. When i increase (not lower) this to about 15k the game runs quite smoothly. Playable for me i guess 😀

Now only for the sound, i can hardly imagine the game doesn't support sound at all since i can set it up and test it in the menu?