VOGONS

First post, by Aviv7896

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am trying to play duke nukem 3D from dosbox with VESA modes (800x600 resolution) but when the game is being loaded at some point the loading process stucks...

I have two questions:

1- Can I play duke nukem 3D (with VESA modes of course) from dosbox?? and if yes what should I do...

2- Is dosbox support VESA modes at all ??

bye bye

Reply 1 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Aviv7896 wrote:

Hi,
2- Is dosbox support VESA modes at all ??

DOSBOX supports several 8 bit (256 colors) modes (I think up to 800*600). I do not have the game, so I cannot tell you what is the problem.

Generally - VESA is slower, which may be a problem for 3D shooters. I think that there are some Windows ports for Duke Nukem 3D (I am not certain, but I think I have heard about it), so you may be better off using them instead of DOSBOX.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you may be needing NOLFB. Please SEARCH the forum before asking. Your query may have been answered before - Keywords - NOLFB, Duke nukem, build engine, blood, shadow warrior, vesa and XP, etc...

Reply 4 of 5, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I think you may be needing NOLFB. Please SEARCH the forum before asking. Your query may have been answered before - Keywords - NOLFB, Duke nukem, build engine, blood, shadow warrior, vesa and XP, etc...

NOLFB is only needed for Windows NT/2K/XP. DOS and Windows 9x/ME do not need it, so DOSBox should not need it either.

Reply 5 of 5, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are instructions how to play Build engine gameson XP:
http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/
But I recommend JonoF source port - easy to install and good looking and has support for high-res textures and 3D models.