VOGONS

First post, by MrD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been writing my own MOD player and SB drivers and I was curious what sample rates and bit depths Jazz 1 supports on SB cards. I ran JJ 1.0 shareware, Xmas 94 and Xmas 95 (from dosgamesarchive, though identical to the funet jjxmas95.zip) through debug dosbox and wrote down what sample rates were requested of the DSP. If anybody is interested, I've come up with a table and a description of the behaviour; how I understand it. I'm surprised that it doesn't support 44KHz or 16-bit, but I've found it takes a surprising amount of processor juice to software mix.

https://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=20424

I was curious to find that the SB Pro driver doesn't work in Dosbox for the two Holiday Hare games - when SB Pro is selected in JJ's setup screen, it acts as if the SB 16 driver is selected instead (an emulated SB16 will play sound, an emulated SB Pro will not understand the DSP commands). I found thread on another forum from 2013 which had the same experience.

Does Holiday Hare 94 and 95 just not support SB Pro despite it working in Jazz 1.0 sw, by accident somehow? Could someone try it on a real SB Pro?

Last edited by MrD on 2020-10-01, 09:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
MrD wrote on 2020-10-01, 09:20:

I was curious to find that the SB Pro driver doesn't work in Dosbox for the two Holiday Hare games - when SB Pro is selected in JJ's setup screen, it acts as if the SB 16 driver is selected instead (an emulated SB16 will play sound, an emulated SB Pro will not understand the DSP commands).

Appears to be fixed in SVN, possibly by r3850.