VOGONS

Menzoberranzan Refusing to load

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 30, by Tarkania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It sounds like you had the same problem I had. Hopefully, this is your solution as well - 6 months later!
The following is a revised install/execute method based on DosFreak's very, very excellent post.

I have the Gamefest Forgotten Realms' compilation CD:
1. Install Menzoberranzan using CD's Win installer, installed into C:\Oldies\menzo
2. Open CD itself and copy over all RESXX files into install directory. For me these were: RES3, RES6, RES9 and RES10. Replace if prompted.
3. Copy CINE (cinematic) folder into install directory.
4. Copy CGEN (char. gen.) folder into install directory. [THIS WAS MY SOLN]
5. Edit INFO.DAT within install directory and change drive letter to C:
6. Open DOSBOX (I use D-Fend)
mount C: C:\Oldies\menzo
7. Set up sound thru DosBox using SOUND.BAT (Roland and SB16)
8. Execute program with MENZO.bat

NOTE: for #s 2-4 these items were found in D:\ itself not in its D:\menzo folder.

It should work with no problems!
Specific tweaking suggestions for smoother play are welcome.

Reply 23 of 30, by Taeliac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so I have wracked my brains, but I think I've hit an odd stumbling block that no amount of Googling has seemed to help with.

I, too, am getting the "can't open resource file" error message.

I realize I should try editing the INFO.DAT file, but I'm on OSX. Is that a problem? I can't seem to edit it in DOSBox, and I don't have any software that is letting me edit the .DAT file 😅

Reply 24 of 30, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Sure you have. Have you tried TextEdit?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 25 of 30, by Taeliac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, that was indeed the first thing I tried. I don't know if this is some coding that I just do not understand, but I don't see how to change the drive letter... I have also tried this in NeoOffice, Pages, and DreamWeaver, to get the same result each time.

Here is what I am getting, when I use TextEdit:

0000000001111(the symbol for "greather than and equal to", > with a line under it):

It shows the little box no matter how I copy/paste it, and nothing after that. Here it is, for direct copy/paste:

Reply 26 of 30, by Sheriff Hobbes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game loads fine and the sound is Ok too. However, when I start a new game, it says "not enough memory to continue" and quits to the main menu. I've tried several memory options, different DOSBox versions and the DOS32a extender. Any ideas?

Marriage is a three ring circus:
-engagement ring
-wedding ring
-suffering

H. L. Mencken