VOGONS

First post, by Delta_storm2152

User metadata

I'm trying to play an old game that unfortunately no one even knows exists(or so it seems) called Wingnuts. The gameplay wasn't all that wonderful but the movies in the game were hilarious. I laughed so hard at the spoofs the did of their own in-game movies after you finished the game. Sadly I can't seem to view those movie files individually without playin teh game. Anyways. In dosbox the setup runs fine, but when I try to run the actual game I get : "fatal error: system timer 2 is not functioning"

I don't know if this is because of the game or what. I'm hoping someone here knows the problem.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by Qusoor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are NOT the only person trying to get this game working! I get the same error myself. "System Timer 2 not functioning". I'm hoping that in the time since this was first posted, someone has some idea as to what this is. I'm trying to run it in WInXP, and I've run several other games in DosBox with varying degrees of success.

WingNuts is a Dos-based game, came out around 1995, and is run off a CD-Rom. It requires Dos 5.0 or better, MPC level 2 recommended (whatever that means). I'm trying to run it on XP, I've got a 900 Mhz AMD machine.

Anyone?

John Goodrich

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it could be a register initalisation.
that has been in the past often a problem with the not 0 timers. Usually they expect it to be programmed in a certain way.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by Qusoor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm. I can hear the voice when they try the "can you hear the digital voice" trial during setup. I guess my next question would be, is it possible to fix this through DosBox (I'm no wiz by any stretch of the imagination)?

Oh, and Qbix? You've made a wonderful program for those of us who remember DOS games and had some good times back then. Thank you for adding years of functional lifetime to something that much of the world considers useless ephemera.

John Goodrich

Reply 5 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well I don't have the game. So can't really test it.

you might want to try a cvs build of dosbox (see development forum) or a debugger enabled build to see something odd

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!