VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Right now I'm trying to run the orginal Road and Track Presents: The Need for Speed, circa 1995. Published by Electronic Arts.

I am running DOSbox, version 0.63 I have correctly mounted my c: drive. The c: drive is mounted with a directory that has TNFS files in it(I copied and pasted the files from the CD into this folder).

I have tried running TNFS.exe file and below the prompt this text appeared:DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-Time Version 1.97
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994
After this pops up, it seems to sit there for a few seconds and then puts me back to the command prompt.

If I type in Install.exe in the directory C:\NFS, it does the exact same thing.

I have correctly mounted my CD-ROM drive too. If I switch to D: drive, and type in install.exe, the same thing happens like its going to load, then it gives me this error message:
cdromdirectoryentry - ERROR O READING DIRECTORY /frontend\movielow\ea.tgv

If I type in tnfs.exe when its on the D: drive, it does the same thing where it acts like its going to load, then it gives me the command prompt.

Also, here is the readme file on the CD:
Road and Track Presents: The Need for Speed
-------------------------------------------

Welcome to The Need for Speed Windows 95
Auto-Launcher program. This program is designed
to install The Need for Speed onto your system.
Since this game is only designed to run under
DOS, the Auto-Launcher will configure Windows
95 so that it will automatically launch it as a
DOS application, and then return to Windows 95
when finished.

To install the game, just click on the install
button, and it will take you through the process
of customizing the installation and copy the required
files onto your hard drive. Please review the
Readme file within the installation program for
more information about the installation procedure.

Please note that this game does not run in Windows
95 or in a Windows 95 DOS shell. As such the
performance tests in the install program may not be
representative of the performance under DOS.

Should the sound or video tests carried out by the
install program not play correctly (i.e. broken audio,
stuttering video) it is possible that it will
still work correctly when fully installed and launched
under DOS. If you still experience problems in DOS
try re-installing the game with the Video setting at
Low Quality or Disabled. For further information
about sound or video problems, please refer to the
appropriate sections in the reference card.

By the way I'm running an HP computer with an AMD 2.1 GHz chip, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB graphics card(forgot the brand), and Windows XP Home Edition.

Reply 1 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Anonymous wrote:
Right now I'm trying to run the orginal Road and Track Presents: The Need for Speed, circa 1995. Published by Electronic Arts. […]
Show full quote

Right now I'm trying to run the orginal Road and Track Presents: The Need for Speed, circa 1995. Published by Electronic Arts.

I am running DOSbox, version 0.63 I have correctly mounted my c: drive. The c: drive is mounted with a directory that has TNFS files in it(I copied and pasted the files from the CD into this folder).

<snip>

I have correctly mounted my CD-ROM drive too.

As a friend of mine often says: In God we trust - everybody else has to present an X.509 certificate!.

It is not like we don't trust you about having mounted the drives correctly, but it would be nice if you could tell us exactly how you have done the mounts in DOSBox, and which installation-paths you used when the game was installed using the Windows installer.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 5, by bkunlimited

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a similar problem. The installation was completed without errors, sound and video test was successful. But i can't run the game. It starts to load dos4gw and then returns to the command prompt without an error message. How can i get it running?

Reply 4 of 5, by bkunlimited

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i tried it but the result is the same 🙁
i configured dosbox as described on the official site: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … D=2852&letter=N
Is this correct?

Edit: i mentioned that the installation routine tells me that the installation was completed successfully, but the NFS.BAT file is missing. Can this be the reason?

Reply 5 of 5, by twickline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried a build from CVS?

DOSBox SVN Builds

If you have it configured correct or not, I suppose so... I don't have the game so I cant do any testing here to tell you what needs tweaking.

Best of Luck!

Tom