VOGONS

First post, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been digging through old posts, and reading the Nerdly Pleasures blog, but I cannot find the answer to these questions which have irked me for some time:

1. Was a patch ever made (by New Rising Sun or anyone else) that allows Sound Blaster effects with MT-32 music in Conquests of the Longbow? I notice that the game installer allows the selection of MT-32/CM-32L for "music" and Sound Blaster for "speech", but in the game I only hear the MT-32 being used for sound effects (i.e. it is quite obvious in the first scene when picking up the pouch and coins). I am not sure why the installer specifies speech because I do not remember there being any in this game, but I have not completed a play-through in years so I could have just forgotten.

2. I realize there will probably never be a way (in real DOS or DOSBox) to apply the high-resolution (i.e. Windows 640x480) portraits in King's Quest VI to the DOS CD version of the game, which runs in 320x200. I know it can be done in ScummVM, but for various reasons I do not want to run the game in that engine. As a fall-back, is there a way to at least remove the annoying title bar at the top of the screen in the Windows version, and apply some settings to the cfg/ini files that will prevent the ugly stretching of the 320x200 image? I know that in SCI2 games this can be done by specifying "titlebar=false" and manipulating the "wwidth" and "wheight" parameters. Unfortunately, these seem to have no effect in SCI 1.1 or lower.

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 1 of 5, by Laukku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding point 1, it's indeed possible to play the game in DOSBox with MT-32 music and digitised audio, I did so in early 2013. Here's a longplay video with such a sound setup; the arrow-firing sound effect in the title screen is a clear tell. Note that not every sound effect is made with recorded samples, many are made with the synth - that may be throwing you off.

My YouTube account, with miscellanous DOS game stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaukkuTheGreit

Reply 2 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
almeath wrote on 2020-11-13, 06:36:

I realize there will probably never be a way (in real DOS or DOSBox) to apply the high-resolution (i.e. Windows 640x480) portraits in King's Quest VI to the DOS CD version of the game, which runs in 320x200. I know it can be done in ScummVM, but for various reasons I do not want to run the game in that engine.

Wait, is that possible now? I thought the ScummVM team was virulently opposed to such blendings. Has there been an ideological shift of some sort?

Reply 3 of 5, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Laukku wrote on 2020-11-13, 20:52:

Regarding point 1, it's indeed possible to play the game in DOSBox with MT-32 music and digitised audio, I did so in early 2013. Here's a longplay video with such a sound setup; the arrow-firing sound effect in the title screen is a clear tell. Note that not every sound effect is made with recorded samples, many are made with the synth - that may be throwing you off.

Oh, that does make sense. I do hear the arrow sound effect in the title screen. I was not aware that Sierra did not provide a digital sample for every sound effect. So that would mean that someone with a Sound Blaster (only) would hear some digital effects and others that were re-created using the FM synthesis?

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.

Reply 4 of 5, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-13, 20:57:

Wait, is that possible now? I thought the ScummVM team was virulently opposed to such blendings. Has there been an ideological shift of some sort?

Actually, you are right. On closer inspection, what ScummVM is doing is displaying the 640x480 backgrounds but without the Windows title bar. It is not correcting the 'stretch' of the backgrounds and it uses the Windows black and white cursor icons. The stretched resolution is really what ruins it for me, hence my question above. If there is no way to fix this with config tweaks then I will settle for playing the DOS CD version with the low res portraits. To be honest, given the low res backgrounds, the DOS portraits are far more consistent and less out of place. I could learn to love this version the most.

Reply 5 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was not aware that Sierra did not provide a digital sample for every sound effect. So that would mean that someone with a Sound Blaster (only) would hear some digital effects and others that were re-created using the FM synthesis?

Sound effects up until 1991/92 were actually designed FOR the MT-32 in many cases, with Sound Blaster effects being a sort of "alternate" or "bonus". If you play a Dynamix game from 1991 like Willy Beamish or Heart of China, there's no digital effects- only MT-32 effects. Although "only" is unfair- the MT-32 can do a lawnmower for goodness' sake!!

Sierra started to provide digital samples around 1989/90, although not in DOS releases at the time in most cases. For example, in QFG2, in later releases you could get the genie "laughing" instead of laughing on the MT-32, although I don't think there's enough reason to care. SQ3 had the famous "Where am I?" speech, although I don't think it was in DOS, only Amiga or something.

As for Longbow mentioning speech, that's because it originally was slated to have it - and the Demo version has some.

Also, FM synthesis has nothing to do with Sierra games - except for if you play with Adlib/SB for MIDI, then you hear the FM version. LA Synthesis refers to the MT-32 and is Roland tech. Although my understanding is Sierra created effects for the MT-32 first, and then Sound Blaster effects came later. Most games seem to be better with the MT-32 effects. Once you get to the General MIDI era, it's all different though.