VOGONS

First post, by Tyler_1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I hope some one can help me! 😖
I've searched the boards and can't seem to find any info to do with this problem.
I'm running Discworld(which I downloaded off of underdogs) in DOS BOX and I've also dowloaded the "fix". I've followed all of the instructions and run the UNPACK.BAT file, configured the sound etc. But when I type in the command to run the game (DISC) I get the following error:
Discworld cannot find 'english.smp'!!
and it takes me back to the command line. Can anyone help???????

Reply 2 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Discworld from Underdogs works in DOSBOX (though I tested it some time ago, not recently). I do not know what you are doing wrong. Write precisely what you did (I mean precise commands).

Mirek

Reply 3 of 6, by Tyler_1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your more positive reply, Mirek! 😀
I've downloaded the file, unzipped it and done the same with the "fix" that is on underdogs.
Copied the DECODE application from the fix and run it. I open up DOSbox and run UNPACK.BAT and it runs for about 30 minutes, doing various things. When this is finished I am prompted to configure the midi music driver and the digital audio driver, which I do. After this I copy the English.idx file from the fix into the game directory.
Then I go back to the c:\ command promt and type DISC and hit return. I then get the error that is above.
I have tried downloading it all again to no success and I've tried copying the English.idx file into the game directory before I do anything else, again with no success.
Does this clear it up a bit???

Reply 4 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I guess it probably does not like being in the root of c:\ .
ENGLISH.SMP is the big (350MB) file which should exist after unpacking.

Anyway I found the CD with Underdogs files and did this:
a) created a directory
b) copied there files from the big ZIP
c) copied there DECODE.EXE from the patch (as written in patch README)
d) Run UNPACK.BAT (just normally in Windows, may be it would work ok in DOSBOX, but this is quicker)
e) Exited the sound configuration without doing anything
f) Copied the ENGLISH.IDX file
g) Started DOSBOX, the directory I mentioned before was accessible as c:\dw1 in DOSBOX
g) Started SETSOUND.EXE, configuring sound (MPU 401, SB)
h) Started the game

Absolutely no problems at all, everything worked at first go.

Mirek

Reply 5 of 6, by Tyler_1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks,
I've tried doing as you said above but with no success. I think it may be that I am running the UNPACK batch file in DOSbox. I have tried to run it through windows but it just gives me the following error:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

It then gives me two options Close and Ignore.
Each one results in everything being wiped from the directory save the README file and UNRAR.EXE.
I think it's just something to do with my system and it'll never work!!!
Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it 😀