VOGONS

First post, by AlephZaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Both Millennia: Altered Destinies and M&M: Xeen are listed as supported.

I'm having problems with both, though.

My copy of Millennia is part of a compilation published by Starhill and Segasoft. Its CD is also shared by the Star Crusaders game data and everything else that's on there.

The main problem is that Millennia cannot recognize the CD. If I only mount the C:\, it gives me an error that MSCDEX is not loaded. If I DO mount a CD drive, I get rid of the MSCDEX error, but it just gives me a different error about being unable to mount the CD. I've tried to copying it to the C:\ drive and mounting the folder as the CD-Rom, but that made it crash. Should I try ripping an iso and mounting THAT?

As for Xeen, it works perfectly. Until I talk to shopkeepers. When I escape from the shopkeeper dialogue window, the game hangs. And never, ever comes back to life.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 6, by AlephZaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gah. Opera crashed and I forgot to re-paste my info. Hang on.

Pentium IV, one or two gHz. I don't remember the specifics. It's probably about 1.5.

512 MB ram

ATI Radeon 600x

Audigy 2Zs

Windows XP

Reply 2 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Which commands do you use when mounting the CD?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 6, by AlephZaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For Xeen, I have input/output control enabled, as recommended in the "Games" section.

For Millenia, I tried setting i/o control, but that seemed to make it hang. I used D-fend, and that's the only option I see.

By the way, for Xeen, I've tried disabling voices. The proves inconsequential. I ahve the core memory set to 63, and I've tried running both with and without EMS and XMS. I think it needed one of those two. The other one was inconsequential.

It wouldn't be the music or my rendering method for Xeen, would it?

Reply 4 of 6, by AlephZaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm. I can get both of them working (quite poorly) on my 98, so it's not a problem with the CDs themselves. Although, Xeen never had a problem with the CD... I'm guessing Xeen's problems are sound-related. Are there any special sound-fixes I should try out?

Also, someone suggested, for Millennia, to try and find another way to start MSCDEX. Any help there?

Reply 5 of 6, by AlephZaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just curious, but is there an edit option?

Anyway, I messed with the sound in Xeen and I got it working somewhat well, so that's not an issue anymore. I've also managed to get Millennia running alright without sound in XP, 'long as I don't use VDMS. However, the CD issues with DosBox is still bothering me. Just... because it is 😒

Reply 6 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
AlephZaku wrote:

Just curious, but is there an edit option?

Yes. See one of those small icons at the top-right corner of your message.
You can edit your own messages.

Mirek