VOGONS

First post, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The three 640x350 EGA games from Legend Entertainment (S101, S201 and Timequest) appear to have a number of identical graphic problems with DOSBox 0.63. Let's take S101 as an example.

Here's the real thing in a Win2K's DOS shell:
s101_01-1.png

Works neat with VDMS, except that AdLib/SB music is playing as in slow motion, and VDMS doesn't seem to support MIDI's Intelligent Mode (so MT-32 is not an option).

Here's what we get in DOSBox (machine set to VGA):
s101_01-2.png

1. The verb and object menus are blank. You can refresh them by switching from the parser mode to the mouse mode with the Tab key, but as soon as you get back to the parser and enter a command, the menus are blanked again.

2. The black status line is empty as well -- where it should display the location, date and time.

3. DOSBox seems to handle hires EGA in 640x400 (which I suspect is inevitable), but the display is not vertically centered. (Which makes me think: can DOSBox automatically support custom screen modes made with, say, PowerStrip?)

Bonus part: I've been giving the games a try in CGA for the sake of nostalgia, but DOSBox seems to choke on 640x200x2.

Here's the real thing in a Win2K's DOS shell:
s101_02-1.png

Here's what we get in DOSBox (machine set to CGA):
s101_02-2.png

Did I miss something?

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 1 of 6, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think you can do much at the moment to get these games working
(unless you want to correct the bugs yourself 😀).
The last screenshot looks kind of fun. It seems that dosbox tries to draw graphics in 320x200x2 (or whatever) instead of the high res cga mode.

Iampiti

Reply 2 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems Composite CGA output rather than RGB, heh. 🤣

BTW: Sound works just fine under VDMSound for me (in advanced options (Performance) I checked TRY TO REDUCE CPU USAGE, and put it to minimum). I have also to load Adlib's sound.com or sb-sound.com (Creative) prior launching the game.
Unfortunately EGA mode 640x350 display garbled on my ATi Radeon 9600.

EDIT2: ROLAND MT32 sound works perfectly under DOSBox. Just run s101.exe with the mt32 parameter. Pity that the EGA nor the CGA modes are correct.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2005-01-22, 07:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah as srecko and I used timequest to fix that intelligent mpu code.
I didn't notice anything wrong then.
i recall the menu appeared after a few mouse clicks....

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

El Pusher> Ah thanks, I should have thought about the Performance slider... It definitely helps, though the music is still somehow sluggish (btw, only the floppy version of S101 requires the prior loading of sb-sound.com -- the later version from the CD compilation natively supports the SB). And yes, MT-32 support is great in DOSBox, that's why I'd prefer to play the games with it rather than with VDMS 😀

I forgot to add that none of the following VGA games (S301, Gateway 1&2, Eric) have the problems I described earlier. Even more interestingly, if you run S301, GW1 or Eric in 640x350 EGA mode (GW2 didn't have EGA support), the games display mighty fine as well -- except for the vertical centering.

Gateway 1 in EGA mode with DOSBox:
gateway1_01.png

Reply 5 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A little off-topic but, does anybody out there have a solution/walkthrough for GATEWAY. I am stuck almost at the end (in a room with several coloured bars where you got deprived of oxygen) for several years now. I'd like to finish it now that I have come that far....