VOGONS

Jack Orlando

Topic actions

First post, by vbtricks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody,

one of the games I miss most is Jack Orlando. So I thought of trying it using Dosbox. But unfortunately it doesn't work (CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7). Do you have any experience with this game or the error?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

Reply 2 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Game: I have not ever seen it.
Error: something went wrong and DOSBOX executes some rubbish (it can have millions of reasons ...).
People sometimes got this error when program had too much memory (DOSBOX provides more free conventional memory than any real DOS), so you can try LOADFIX (see README). If it does not help, than check whether everything is correctly configured in the game (I mean especially sound).

Mirek

Reply 3 of 12, by vbtricks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Reckless
That version that I have is the original DOS-version (two discs, one standard and one high performance, I'm trying the standard one) (with a Windows starter [which runs the DOS-version) . I heared something about a Directors Cut of Jack Orlando, which might be a true Windows version, but I'm not sure if it is. Could you please check your version.

@mirekluza
tried LOADFIX, but unfortunately it didn't work. It's the installation program I want to run and which causes this error. So I have not been able to configure the soundsystem yet.

Any further ideas?

Stefan

Reply 4 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
vbtricks wrote:

with a Windows starter [which runs the DOS-version)

Sounds like a sure receipe for disaster. Are you forced to use the Windows "starter" (whatever that is) - there is no instructions how to run it with DOS only?

How did you install the the game? In Windows or in DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 12, by vbtricks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, it's a dos-version with an optional windows starter (for autorun only). the starter does nothing more than run install.exe on the cd. I tried to execute the install.exe (dos-) programm.

Reply 6 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Can you write EXACTLY which commands you used to

1) Mount a C-drive in DOSBox.
2) Mount the CD in DOSBox.
3) Start install.exe in DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 12, by vbtricks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mounted an empty C-drive (empty) and a D-drive (containing the data from cd copied to a folder). then I called D:\install.exe. the graphics card is successfully recognized (S3...). But then the program stops with the failure written above.

Reply 8 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Why did you copy the CD to disk? Why not mount the CD directly from DOSBox?

Z:>mount D D:\ -t cdrom -ioclt

Check the links in my signature for more info and examples.

Reply 10 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Sorry Stefan - but I am out of ideas. Perhaps you need to look into a different emulation product, like VMware.

Reply 11 of 12, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If this a DOS product, then there should be a setup or configuration file somewhere. Perhaps the problem lies in there. Turn off the sound, adjust graphics to basic, and experiment to see if you can get it running. If that works, then try to narrow down what the problem is.

Reply 12 of 12, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm it seems that the graphics mode Jack Orlando wants to use isn't supported by DOSBox. The DOSBox debugger sais it wants to set VESA mode 111h with INT 10 which is obviously not supported by DOSBox.