VOGONS

First post, by Malchazar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have gotten World of Xeen to work perfectly, except some CD swaps.
Most CD-swapping is fine, except if there is a movie sequence right before the swap (i.e. when entering a dungeon with a guy asking for the key that requires changing the CD). In this case, it will freeze when I change CD's (hang, no indication of anything happening, but it will never load).

My computer stats are: Athlon XP 64 3000+, Radeon 9800, Audigy, etc.

My video settings are:
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1280x1024
output=surface
hwscale=.95 # I did this because it didn't fit my screen perfectly
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

I have it on 10,000 cycles, SBPro 2.

My autoexec is:
mount c c:\
mount d e:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply 1 of 7, by colbey32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact same problem. World of Xeen runs great until I have to swap and there is a movie sequence. I'm running into this issue when trying to enter Ellinger's tower in castleview for the 1st time.

I can swap CD's fine through pyramids... anyone else run into this and find a solution?

Reply 4 of 7, by Zakule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a solution that's worked every single time for me. It has to do with some F key commands in the World of Xeen game. I documented the fix:

"Switching CDs in MIGHT AND MAGIC WORLD OF XEEN:

Being that it's a 2 disc game, you'll be prompted at some point to switch between discs. An in-game message will pop-up and your current disc will be ejected (or dismounted if it's a virtual CD-ROM). If you're using Windows XP/2K/NT then you'll also see a Windows error message tell you "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive * " where * is your CD-ROM drive letter. Click the "Cancel" button to close this error window.

Insert/mount Disc A if the game is prompting you for "...CD-ROM Disk 1" or insert/mount Disc B if you're being prompted for "...CD-ROM Disk 2".

Now when you return to the DOSBox window your game may be frozen, but do not despair. If your game is frozen press the F10 key; this will bring up the command prompt. Then press the F9 key to return to your game and it will be unfrozen. Incidentally, these are not DOSBox commands; they are internal commands to the World of Xeen game (Might and Magic 3 and Sword of Xeen also have these same F9 and F10 commands)."

Reply 7 of 7, by Asuryan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...I registered on these forums exactly because I was having problems accessing Ellinger's tower... and lo! My troubles have been solved!
I love retrogaming forums SO MUCH!

😁