VOGONS

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For some reason Larry 1 remake hates dosbox. Every other sierra game run perfect speed with full sound and I haven't found any timer bugs with lower CPU cycles set. However....in Leisure Suit Larry 1 I get one of the dreaded "Oops! You did something we didn't think of" crashes whenever I try to enter the wedding chapel (after fawn leaves the disco)

This makes no sense....I even tried cranking every filter and dosbox quality setting, putting programs in the BG to kill cpu speed and then setting the cycles to VERY low..nothing helps. I can set any sound/video setting in Larry's Install and nothing works.

I'm going nuts here...how can this game have timer bugs even when the game runs at a standstill speed? I had him walking one step every 10 seconds and it took about 2 minutes to enter the door......It STILL happened!

Reply 1 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

That "Oops! You did something we didn't think of" error message must be a message from the game itself, right? It is not DOSBox that gives you that message?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course! If dosbox gave me that error I would be really stumped! 😁

I've had this error before when I used to play on Windows 98, it is speed related. However it makes no sense when it happens at all different cycles and cpu %.

I mean all my other sierra titles work just fine. Even quest for glory 4 works getting rid of that nasty error 52 at the swamp and the slippery ledge. Very odd.. 😐

Reply 3 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Typical Sierra error message. I'm unaware of any speed bug in LSL1 VGA, and there is no patch on Sierra's FTP or NewRisingSun's site. What version of the game do you have? Could you post a saved gave? If you have found a speed bug, NewRisingSun might be interested in fixing it. http://geocities.com/belzorash/

Reply 4 of 17, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

could be that one of the files is corrupt or i dunno maybe there is a bug in DOSBox that's making Larry call Foul.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have version 2.0

I have heard of his work on the other game's timer bugs. I did check on the forum he visits (can't recall the name? soemthing to do with space quest) and there were no mention of fixes for larry1 remake.

Anyway, here my save game outside tthe wedding chapel. If you want feel free to pass it on to him and let me know if he can fix it!

Attachments

• Filename
    larry1save.zip
    File size
    10.16 KiB
    Downloads
    235 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have version 2.0, as well. I tried your save game in DOSBox .63 and had no problem. I would imagine that priestlyboy is right in guessing that you have a corrupt file. Try re-installing the game.

Reply 7 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whats the speed of your computer? See, I have tried this game (exact same version) on my older computer awhile back and it was fine. Now on my AMD64 2.4ghz it has these issues. I'm not so sure its a corrupt file. I might try to find an alternate copy of this game to test it out...

Reply 8 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In DOSBox, the game is isolated from the speed of your computer. The game runs at what ever cycles you set in DOSBox. Is your game on floppy or from one of the collection CDs?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its the floppy version. I know its isolated....thats why it makes no sense to happen when I set dosbox to 1000 cycles...it took 5 minutes to get to the door and yet still said "oops!" 😳

Funny this doesn't happen to other sierra games at these dosbox settings...maybe it is corrupt.

Reply 10 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just try reinstalling the game. You can use your old save games. If the corruption is on the floppy, you might need to replace it. Abandonware is a touchy subject, but, since you already own the floppy version and Sierra no longer has replacement disks (hell, Sierra is only a name now)...

Reply 11 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*ahem* yes....disks...where did I put them? 😊 I'm pro-abandonware so you'll have understand where I got this game from. While I bought many of my sierra games some I could not (like this one....and some have dissapeared due to bad disks)

Reply 15 of 17, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

25 minutes 😳 You either know the game inside out or you used a walkthrough. Either way, I can't see how you receive any enjoyment playing a game from start to finish in such a short space of time!

Reply 16 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've known these games for a looong time. Yes I do get enjoyment. 😁 Plus this was actually a test run to make sure I can get all the Larry games working in prep for a friend who wants me to help set them all up. I have to make sure they work for me first...that way I can do it as painless as possible.

Reply 17 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love the old Sierra adventure games. too. They form the biggest part of my collection. I've manage to get almost all of them going on XP. I am now working to get them going on XP x64.