VOGONS

First post, by Hauser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the problem: Wave output crackles in Space Quest 4 CD version in DOSBox (though midi is fine).

Here are the things I've tried:
Switching sound emulation from sb16 to sb1, sbpro, etc.
Switching IRQ and DMA settings
Using the audblast.drv from SQ5 as I've read somewhere in these forums
Setting the game to use Disney Sound Source, which doesn't result in crackling, but instead in wave output being pitched down
Using VDMSound instead of DOSBox, with which I get "cannot initialize audio hardware" at the start of the game

Searching through the forums here, I've read about problems people have had with getting this game to run, but not my particular problem. Does anyone have any ideas how I could get sound to work properly with this game? Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 3, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try this:
http://forum.spacequest.net/viewtopic.php?t=1067

It has a newer 'better' sci engine. All you need to do is copy the resource.aud file from your CD to where you unzip this. Its is mainly a graphic 'fix' but since it is newer, it may help your sound as well.

Reply 3 of 3, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, all i did was up the mixing rate of both rate= and oplrate= to 44100 and it sounds fine for me. 😀

Thanks for posting about that patch for the CD version. I've never heard of this before and it sounds great 😀

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.