VOGONS

First post, by Deadly Dave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please I am beggin. I am dying to play one of my all time favourite games....Strike Commander By Origion. After much research and battling with the error "Protected Mode Driver Is not responding to EMS function calls.Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option.If it is replace the "NOEMS" option with "RAM".
So my research led me to the dosbox site and I downloded and installed the latest version of DOSBOX ver 0.63. I successfully followed instructions and mounted my cd rom and my C: drive. I installed the Strike Commander again, but when I try and run it I get the same error. Please can someone tell me what I could possibly do. Where can I change the NOEMS option to RAM?? I am using an HP Compaq NX7010 with Win XP and SP2. Beggin and eternally grateful

Dave
d.greenland@venture-sa.co.za 😏 [/b]

Deadly Dave

Reply 2 of 8, by Deadly Dave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi firstly thanks a lot for your reply, without tryin to sound like a total numbnut, please can you advise me how I can set this EMS to false from within dosbox? What must i type where do i do it, please adivse,

thanks a mil!

Dave

South Africa

Deadly Dave

Reply 3 of 8, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not within DosBox, it's the Dosbox config file you must edit.
In the osBox folder, open the dosbox CONF file. You know, the config file. Open it with Notepad.
Ok now, search for "ems=true".
Simply change this value by removing the "true" and typing in "false" instead. Now save the config, reboot DosBox and start it up.

Reply 4 of 8, by Deadly Dave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys for the help i made the change in the dosbox.conf file and set ems = false, now the game works, but I set my sound card as general midi, there is music, but no speech! Anyone out there know how to activate the speech in strike commander?

Thanks

Dave

Deadly Dave

Reply 5 of 8, by Deadly Dave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the speech and sound working, thanks a lot to cuttock!! I really appreciate it, now one last thing, the gameplay while flying is quote gerky and slow, any ideas, if i press Crtl+F12 while playing to overclock the cpu will this speed things up perhaps? Also does anyone know where I can download the keyboard controls for Strike Commander From?? Many thanks....dave

Deadly Dave

Reply 6 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Dave, try upping the Frame Skip (default = 0) to 1 or 2, either in the dosbox.conf or with one of the CTRL-Fn keys.

Check out the Wiki (see signature) for info how to run ressource demanding games.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 8, by julesomar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a follow ques on this topic.

I cannot get the sound to work. In the game config, after selecting 'Sound Blaster' as my card, I get an error if I try to run it. The game will start if I select 'no card' in the sound config.

Also, increasing the frame skip does not seem to offer much improvement for me. I gather from FAQ's that 'core=dynamic' probably won't work for protected mode games.

Thanks

Athlon XP 2400+
384 MB PC2100
16 MB Nvidia TNT