Obitus VGA Issues

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jal wrote:
Ah, so you don't believe me? With a hex editor and all the information above, you could patch it yourself, you lazy !@#$!#@% :). […]
Show full quote
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Here. My version. I have unpacked it. I would like you to patch it just for knowledge sake.

Ah, so you don't believe me? With a hex editor and all the information above, you could patch it yourself, you lazy !@#$!#@% 😀.

But okay, since I'm in a good mood today, here it is.

JAL

Thank you very much! I will test it later, because I am at work now. And yes, I think I could have done it myself, but I am a lazy bastard. 😁

Reply 21 of 23, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jai, thanks for your dedication and professionalism, I get to enjoy obitus the way it was meant to. And Cool Croc as well! Guess what? I found another game with the same VGA issue.
"Neverending Story II".
As seen in the screen grab here, I can't select VGA. It of course works fine in XP hehehe.

Attachments

• error.gif
    Filename
    error.gif
    File size
    6.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 23, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cuttock wrote:

Jai, thanks for your dedication and professionalism, I get to enjoy obitus the way it was meant to. And Cool Croc as well! Guess what? I found another game with the same VGA issue.
"Neverending Story II".
As seen in the screen grab here, I can't select VGA. It of course works fine in XP hehehe.

Well, let's check to see if it is really the same problem, or maybe some new and interesting different one 😀. I'll get back later...

Edit: Hah, if only all games are this easily debuggable. Yes, this game uses exactly the same detection scheme, using exactly the same idiotic code. Did all these DOS coders read the same magazines or something? I mean, this:

mov al, 00
out dx, al
mov al, 00
out dx, al
mov al, 00
out dx, al

could easily be replaced by this:

mov al, 00
out dx, al
out dx, al
out dx, al

Also, all occurences have the same cli/sti around it, which is really not necessary. Also, this particular game int 10/ah=12,bl=10 check, which is normally used to distinguish between EGA/VGA, but the game doesn't offer EGA... Just weird...

JAL

P.S. Fix included.

Attachments

• Filename
    STORYFIX.zip
    File size
    854 Bytes
    Downloads
    110 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 23, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

JAL,my hero! The game works fine. I have also found more games with such issues. I'll do some debugging and follow your lead....I need to learn hehehe 😁