VOGONS

First post, by Nomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having trouble trying to get the original version(floppy disk) of Tie Fighter (with expansion) working on DosBox 0.63. Whenever I go the combat simulator, the training simulator or the battle room, the screen goes a funny colour and I can not click on the start mission button, leave the room or choose my mission. I can still see the 3d model of the tie fighter spinning around though.

I got X-Wing CD Collectors Edition to work on DosBox recently and just finished it, and I was hoping to now play through Tie Fighter. But alas I have been having endless troubles with it. I finally found the copy protection for it on the net and now I encounter this problem. If anybody has any ideas, they would be appriciated.

Imagine a world where we can play all DOS games. Wouldn't it be nice?

Reply 3 of 10, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thats strange - i have tie fighter too, and can play it under dosbox (im using 0.61). If u like - i posted my conf-file in the "sc & joystick"- topic - just above yours i have only one problem, : ive got a 1800+ and 9600 pro with 768 mb ram, and the game runs real slow when i play a mission (50% of normal speed @ 12000 cycles)

Reply 5 of 10, by Nomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried it with VDM Sound and I get the same error. This leads me to believe my wonderful copy of Tie Fighter has finally deteriorated from being copied from hard drive to hard drive before being put to CD.

CENSORED by mirekluza: DO NOT EVER AGAIN ASK HERE FOR THE FULL GAME !!!

Reply 6 of 10, by Nomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woah... I only asked if you guys would mind if I asked for the full game. But I guess that answers my question.

My mission directory is empty. Is it meant to be? If so, does anybody know which file could be defective?

Problem is, there are alot of files, some as small as 14 bytes. Narrowing down which one is the problem could take a while. Can someone post how big each file is meant to be and all the file name? Just remember I have the floppy disk version with the expansion.

Reply 7 of 10, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nomad -> Did you use VDMSound before? I suggest using version 2.1.0beta. After installation and restarting system go into Tie directory. Right-click on setmuse.exe and click 'Run with VDMSound', default configuration was OK for me. In Tie setup I chose Express setup. It detected and tested my soundcard properly. After exiting setup right-click on tie.exe, click 'Run with VDMSound', choose default configuration, check 'Add shortcut to desktop'. Now you can run your game by clicking desktop shortcut or tie.vlp file situated in game's directory.
If this will not help then maybe really some of your files are corrupted.

Reply 8 of 10, by Nomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"I've tried it with VDM Sound and I get the same error. This leads me to believe my wonderful copy of Tie Fighter has finally deteriorated from being copied from hard drive to hard drive before being put to CD."

Yes, I used VDM Sound 2.1.0beta and I get the same error. Thus, I conclude my copy must be corrupt.

Reply 9 of 10, by Nomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have discovered the reason Tie Fighter is not working for me is because I do not have the mission files. Somehow I lost them when I copied them to CD years and years ago.

Can someone email me mission files b1m1fm.Tie - b10****.Tie (don't know what it is called)? Basically everything in the mission folder.

Even the file names of what is in that folder would be useful.

Reply 10 of 10, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here a list of the files i have n my tie-fighter directory (without the addons)

maybe it helps you a bit -> if you have the proper joystick configuration file for Strike Commander (joya.dat) - could you post it in my thread ???