VOGONS

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi
I following the instructions in the thread below for getting the digital sound to also work in PAWgold as i wouldike to have the voices and all that extra goodness for this splendid sim. However nothing changes for me - the game runs fine but if have the digital sound on then there are no gun or explosion sounds and i am yet to hear any voices in game

does the digital sound also require that load the CDrom also in dosbox (i have the cdrom of course) ?

for Jemmex - i put itin the PAW folder and run it first, it loads though seems ot have some concerns about jemmex frame=e000 load working - should i enter some different command?

Pacific Air War Gold

Reply 1 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The digital sound is working for me: engine sound, gun fire, landing gear extend/retract, etc.

Do you have sound in the intro movie? If not then you need to run INSTALL.EXE to configure the digital sound.

Also make sure you have "Digital Sound is On" in the game configuration off the main menu.

You can ignore the JEMMEX warning about the memory region.

Reply 3 of 10, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

perhaps you could show me what your dosbox.conf file for your 1942 paw game looks like? do you have PAWGOLD - i had to install the game via win31 in dosbox and hten i cna play it straight from dosbox with core set to dynamic, cpu tye auto, cycles set to 30000, sound is sb16

the ems, umb and the other one are all set to false

what else do i need to do?

Reply 5 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2021-03-19, 08:50:

i had to install the game via win31 in dosbox

I installed the game using INSTALL.EXE in the GAME subdir on the cdrom; no need for Win3 that way. If you install with DOSBox 0.74(-3) then you will need MPSFIX mentioned in the thread you linked in your opening post, but it isn't needed in SVN. The DOS installer does give an error at the end, but it can be ignored. Then run INSTALL.EXE in the installation directory to configure music and digital sound devices. With default settings in DOSBox, digital settings should be: SB16, port 220, IRQ 7, DRQ 1

Again, go into the "configure game" option of the game's main menu, and make sure the option at the bottom of the screen says "Digital Sound is On" -- if it says off then click the button on the left to turn it on. This step does seem to be necessary because it defaulted to off for me, and you will indeed only hear engine sounds and none of the others if the setting is off.

Reply 6 of 10, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One question is did you use the so-called "optional" DSOUND.FT in truth_deleted's instructions. This is what the original README.TXT file says about this fix:

DSOUND.FT 7,404 01-26-95 10:15a […]
Show full quote

DSOUND.FT 7,404 01-26-95 10:15a

This is an updated digital sound driver for PAW 1942 from MicroProse,
provided by the MicroProse Sound Department. This version requires PAW Gold,
the PAW Scenario disk, or the ver 1.4 update. It will NOT work on the
original game! If you are not currently having problems with the digital
speech and sound effects in PAW, you do not need this update.

Our drivers normally check first for correct DMA operation before starting
to play sounds. This check sometimes fails on some clone sound cards and
others that require an emulator TSR, so it has been disabled in this
version.

To use: rename the DSOUND.FT file in your 1942 directory to DSOUND.OLD then
copy this new driver to your 1942 directory. No other changes should be
necessary.

If a DigiSpeech Port*able sound is being used, please make sure you are
using the latest version of BMASTER, dated at least 07-09-94 or later.

Perhaps ripsaw8080 can comment on the likelihood that it is needed in DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, truth_deleted's attachment claims to be for PAW+addon, not for PAW Gold. In any case, I have not used those files for either PAW+addon or PAW Gold and the digital sound works in DOSBox as long as JEMMEX is used as described.

Reply 8 of 10, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-03-19, 14:22:

Well, truth_deleted's attachment claims to be for PAW+addon, not for PAW Gold. In any case, I have not used those files for either PAW+addon or PAW Gold and the digital sound works in DOSBox as long as JEMMEX is used as described.

and how did you install PAWGold - was it through win3.1 and then you play it via dosbox?

i noticed the Gog version emulates athe full digital - i looked at its conf and bat files and they are using the jemmex command the same way. - i copy what they are doing but still my version has no gun or exploision of voice sounds

i just have to wonder if there was something i missed in the installation process. the annoying thing also is that the win3.1 install for pawgold has a much simply sound setup and doesnt allow you to test the sounds

Reply 9 of 10, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-03-19, 14:04:
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2021-03-19, 08:50:

i had to install the game via win31 in dosbox

I installed the game using INSTALL.EXE in the GAME subdir on the cdrom; no need for Win3 that way. If you install with DOSBox 0.74(-3) then you will need MPSFIX mentioned in the thread you linked in your opening post, but it isn't needed in SVN. The DOS installer does give an error at the end, but it can be ignored. Then run INSTALL.EXE in the installation directory to configure music and digital sound devices. With default settings in DOSBox, digital settings should be: SB16, port 220, IRQ 7, DRQ 1

Again, go into the "configure game" option of the game's main menu, and make sure the option at the bottom of the screen says "Digital Sound is On" -- if it says off then click the button on the left to turn it on. This step does seem to be necessary because it defaulted to off for me, and you will indeed only hear engine sounds and none of the others if the setting is off.

oh sorry i missed this post from you - that is interesting as my copy of PAWGold if i recall did not have an option to install outside of win31, but i will have to go and look at the cdroms contents again. - maybe there were different version fo PAW Gold? I notice there is hte Powerplus edition whicih did not require win3.1

interestingly i found, while looking through my games folder that i actually did make an install for PAW 3 years ago or so and i used the base paw game and patched it to 1.5 and put Jemmex in that game folder and set it all up to run in dosbox and it actually has the full digital sounds! so certainly i did get it working with my other copy of 1942 (i have a micrprose cd compilation that contains PAW, Gunship, and 2 other sims .
i am pretty sure now that trying to install PAWGold through win3.1 dosbox install has probably caused some issue with digital audio perhaps

Reply 10 of 10, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if there were different localized versions of PAW Gold, but apparently MicroProse did release different versions of the CD-ROM. There is a MicroProse file (pawgcd.zip) that is supposed to fix an issue if your copy had a particular volume label. Here is the README.NEW file from this fix:

1942: The Pacific Air War Gold ------------------------------ […]
Show full quote

1942: The Pacific Air War Gold
------------------------------

This update contains a new version of the file, 1942cd.com,
which will correct a problem seen if your copy of this
program has a volume label of "paw_1942" instead of
"1942_paw", where the game would not run from a minimum
installation.

To install this update, copy the file to the game directory
on your hard drive, (normally c:\mps\pawgold), and type,

PKUNZIP PAWGCD.ZIP

To run the program, do NOT type "1942", type "1942cd.com".