Rank

System:
Acer Aspire T300
P4 2.4 GHz
512 Mb 2700 RAm
Radeon 9200
SiS mobo chipset of some description
Windows 2000 SP4

I followed the advice I found on ntcompatible.com to install this program which semi-worked. Since I can't play this game reliably under W2K natively (crashes, complains about missing files when they're there, won't display saved games to load, etc) I thought I'd try DosBOX and give emulation a go.

Well, it sort of starts up every now and then but crashes with a DOS4GW error, sometimes divide by zeroes, other times page faults.

I've tried a variety of settings, XMS/EMS off/on, lots of little different things; no go.

Anyone gotten this game to work? (With DosBOX or W2K natively?)

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try to replace DOS4GW by DOS32A extender. Search forums for information about DOS32A... It is generally better in DOSBOX than DOS4GW.
This is just a thing to try, I did not try it in this game.
Also remember that "normal" core is more stable than "dynamic" core.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did run it under windows XP with the windows version (its included on the cds which I'm sure you have *wink* *wink*) There is even a 3D patch to make it look and run better.

http://www.actiontrip.com/files/patches/lands … ofdestiny.phtml

Its much smoother and less buggy with that patch.

Actually, now that you mention 2k I did run it on my grandfather's machine which had that O/S. With the windows version is work great with full sound.

Reply 3 of 8, by Horrorshow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have the original CD's and I have tried running it under Windows 2K natively:

This is what happens:
It will not install (need to copy the SETUP and INSTALL fies over and run them from there.

It will not load saved games (I suspect this is a missing registry info problem)
It crashes with missing file errors (when the files are there)

So, there yo ugo, hence why I'd like to try running it under some sort of DOS emulator without the drama of setting up a DOS partition.

Reply 4 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't install? What kind of error messages do you get? Are you installing via the autorun? Does it freeze during the sound/options setup dialogues? I don't see why it would simply fail.

What files does it say are missing?

As for save games, were they saved under windows? I'm not sure if saves are compatible between the two.

The only reason I ask so much is because I never have any trouble with this games and it seems wierd to me that it doesn't like your machine. I sincerly doubt its 2k's fault since I have done it before.

Reply 5 of 8, by Horrorshow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

None of the above. The install routine goes through the process, then says "setup finished" without actually installing anything...I'm not the only one who experiences this, see
http://www.ntcompatible.com/cdetail10418.html (scroll down a little)

I've done what that site has suggested, and it works, but it will not load saved games; they're greyed out. I.e I can autosave (F8) to my heart's content, but it will not load them if I exit the game.

Edit: smilies got in the way.

Reply 6 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@Horrorshow: Are you line of questions directed towards gettting LoL2 to work with DOSBox, or run it natively in Win2k?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is confusing the hell out of me...I could have sworn it was run on win2000, and I can't recall any major tinkering on my part. 😳 Maybe a service pack broke it? I don't remember which one he had... 😅

As for running in dosbox, that game is a little resource intensive don't you think? I had an old pentium that could barely run this game unless it was in lo-res mode with no detail. If I were you I wouldn't give up on native just yet....there must be a reason why it won't install.