VOGONS

First post, by WGamradt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have an issue with running an DOS application via DOSbox after migrating over to a new server environment. The previous environment was running on Server 2012 systems and we migrated to Server 2019.

In the old setup DOSbox was working well with this application. The only change to the workstation environment was joining it to the new server domain. DOSbox was configured and working on this machine against the old environment without issue. Since moving to the new servers I am seeing the following:

1. One of the mount commands is not working. We are getting a file does not exist message. This does not make sense to me b/c of the following

Drive map 1 (Fails): Mount X \\server\share
Drive map 2 (Works): Mount Y \\server\share\app

Drive map 2 is a subfolder of drive map 1. If I can reach all the way down into the application, why can I not map one level above?
Drive mappings use different letters, I am not attempting to map both paths to the same drive letter. Both paths are required for proper function.

2. I am also seeing is that if I attempt to do a directory listing on the successful drive mapping, it takes an extremely long time to complete. You issue the 'dir' command and wait about 3 minutes for output. During this time all you see is a blinking cursor.

When I perform a 'dir' listing of a local path it is instant.

Due to several factors beyond my control, I am not able to compare the previous environment with the new to look for differences.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply 1 of 1, by WGamradt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a work around for this issue in my case. I was able to create a self-contained environment using the portableapps.com version of DOSBox and copying the application and data down to the local C: of the workstation. This will work for my needs because the data is lookup only. No new data is being entered.

Once I had everything working, I zipped it up and placed the archive along with instructions for deployment. Good to go now.